SPS smell thru the house?

Oakie

I have a very strong SPS smell....the kind of smell like the coral is sitting out of the water - I have no exposed corals. The smell started yesterday and has grown stronger today. Any ideas?

Have any started to STN in the tank. IME, when the start to STN in the tank I can still smell it in the room.

The last time I had that happen, one of my SPS corals bleached and all the tissue started to fall off. As soon as I walked in the door, I could smell it. :eek2:

I believe mine was RTN since this happened within 24 hours. The coral had a very slight amount of bleaching in the center but all of the tissue was gone the next day.

Corals spawn---they throw off gametes. Fish think this is wonderful---until the mess chokes the skimmer and the water goes bad. Carbon and skim wet.

Check around your tank for a possible leak? Could be water leaking from a pipe or something, and the auto-topoff is replacing it?

Thanks every one........unfortunately it was RTN - lost half of a small watermelon sized acro.....hoping I was able to save the other half. Did a water change and crossing my fingers.

The lovely smell of dimethylsulfide and dimethylsulfoniopropionate. Nasty smells that are implicated in natural cloud formation over reefs and phytoplankton blooms.

Back