SRO-XP2000 Skimmer or SRO-XP2000SSS Skimmer

mbrady

I am in the process of redesigning my current sump. The dimensions of the proposed new sump are 44"L X 16W X 16H. I have not determined how to section it off as of yet. I have enough clearance in the stand 28" to handle either the Standard SRO- XP2000 (Height 22") or the space Saver SRO-XP2000SSS (Height 24"). My initial reaction is to go with the standard SRO-XP2000. My concern is the foot print of the Standard XP2000 ( 12.5" X 10") . That eats up alot of space in the sump. The SRO-XP2000 Space Saver foot print (9.5" X 10"). I can do either or.
If anyone could make a recommendation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dumb Question:
Do you ever need to remove the whole skimmer from the sump? Seeing as I will place the skimmer in the sump from the top. I do not know if I can remove it through the doors in the stand once the sump is in place.

If your sump ever develops a leak (lets say youre disconnecting some tubing or PVC or installing a new reactor and something slips..., etc) or you want to clean it, being able to remove it with less fuss is a life and floor saver.

The standard will give you more dwell time with a larger reaction chamber which should mean more skimmate removal.

I have the SRS 1000SSS in my 125 and i really love it and yes you will have to remove it for maintenance and cleaning...

Yes.... At times the skimmer might need to be removed. If the pump fails or if the skimmer somehow collects a bunch if junk in its body........

Always better off planning to be able to remove everything under the tank at some day vs when something happens..... Having to drain the tank and remove all fish/etc to acess the sump.

Make the sump as big as you can..... I have never been a fan of those sump saver skimmers..... They seem to waist to much space inside the skimmer reducing dwell time and all that stuff.

What size is your tank?

How is the available space in the sump best utilized?

How is the available space in the sump best utilized?

Display Tank 90 Gallons
The inside of the cabinet is 44"L X 16 1/2W X 29H (Directly under tank). My first thought was to make the sump as big as possible. Therefore, the sump will encompass the entire section underneath the tank. I do not know if this is acceptable or even a good idea.Granted, this will require me to have another cabinet close by to store the various items currently under the tank.
How is the available space in the sump best utilized? The foot print of the SRO-XP-2000 eats up a lot of sump space Is it better to save sump space and install the space saver model (SRO-XP-2000SSS)? I could do either or. Is space in the sump better utilized with the open space in the sump or the SRO- XP-2000? I assume the collection cup will have to be accessible. What is the height of both units without the collection cup attached? Trying to address the spaced needed to remove the entire Skimmer from the sump.
Currently, I have a UV sterilizer and 2 heaters in the sump. I have no other equipment planed.

I'd put a heater in the overflow.

Generally I've always been told to use a big sump as possible.

However, after some experience, I've found that that not's always desirable. I want to be able to completely clean my sump by rinsing it out. A lot of people use shop vacs though.

Many claim one should design the sump around the skimmer...... Not purchase a skimmer based on the area in the sump

Thus I would given plenty of room to get the best skimmer you can get in there which will not be a sump saver. This also would allow you to use the sump on another tank incase you decide to get a larger tank and need a larger skimmer.

Also for the money you would pay for those sro skimmers I would at least take a look at reef dynamics. They have their ins100, ins135 or for a few more bucks the ins135e which i bet would out perform the ones you are considering.

There is also the aquamaxx line that a few people push in this site and have great things to say about.

Back