Stand build over a fireplace?

4jlong

Hi everyone, I am planning on building a stand for my 150 gallon and I was considering building it over my exsisting fireplace. We don't use the fireplace, I was considering tearing it out but if I just build over it, the house should have more value if I sale it later. I would like to hear from anyone that has ever done this. I was wondering what you did and what you would do different if you were doing it again? Thanks!

Not sure how you build 'over a fireplace'.

I have a large fireplace that got converted to an insert fireplace that smoked. I looked for a wood stove but now that they need to be very non-polluting they have all jumped to big $$. I figure fireplaces are going to illegal sooner than later. Also a lot of drafts can occur.

I pulled my insert and pulled the sheet rock. I insulated it and re-rocked it. So now I have a 6 foot wide 2 feet deep cubby. I've built a steel stand for it and am going to put a 72x24x36T tank into the space. I'll use solar lighting down the shaft for daytime lighting.

Issues include ventilation of this small volume, a total lack of access from the back and sides, and height limitations if there is a support beam header as there is in my case.

But again I'm not sure what you mean.

if i remove the mantel there is brick facing on the wall only 1 brick width out. i would build over the brick. so basically just like building a stand attached to the wall but in this situation i would have brick between the wall and stand. stand attached to brick but also around the brick because my tank is longer than the bricked area.

Back