Stand design - stacked tanks?

AndyL

Hey folks,

Was about to start building a stand, did a bit more reading here on it today. And I'm reconsidering my materials, I was going to build it with a 2x4 frame, reinforced with ply and some MDF to sheet it and make it nice looking.

But reading up, seems like many of you build solely out of MDF or plywood. Which could be of great benefit - as with my method I'm about 5" shy of fitting the sump/ equipment I'd like underneath...

Stand would be for a pair of demi-cubes, 24.5x24.5x16. 23" of space under would be ideal - would allow me hide the sump and the skimmer underneath.

Basic question becomes the design, It will be a corner unit - tanks stacked one above the other. I'd like to minimize the intrusion/bracing in one corner of the stand as much as possible (the corner's in the middle of the viewing area).

Anyone have ideas on how best to design/build this stand?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Andy-

Is this the way you want the tanks in relation to the walls?

stackedcube.jpg

Steve

Pretty much, want the stand to be an extra 4" deep on one side so plumbing can be hidden inside.

Is this close?
stackedcubever1.jpg

It is a pretty rough sketch but basiclly stands about 6'11" so it should fit with your 7' ceilings. Each hood is 12 tall. and the stand is 27" tall. I made it extend 6" from the wall. You will want that space when trying to work back there.

Let me know what you think.

Steve

Sweet designs countertopguy! This seems to be potential for a side job, if it's not already!!:rolleyes: ;) :D

Andy,

You posted this puzzle a while ago, right (maybe in Jan)? I wondered how you had done with it. Sounds like you're still working on it. If I remember right, you wanted to avoid any visible bracing in the front corners. Is that still the case ?

As far as MDF vs plywood goes. I would go with the plywood. It's stronger and lighter. Also, MDF swells and weakens badly when it gets wet. Paint will help, but sooner or later the edge of some piece of MDF will get wet and ruin the stand.

Matt

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking of, I was only going to have it extend on the one side - but both allows some more options in the future.

Matt - yeah, still trying to keep it minimalist in that corner - never came up with a good plan, tried a few ideas out and just couldn't make it workable. About the best plan so far seems to be to use a piece of 1/2" x 1/8" steel angle, or a bent piece of 1"x1/4" acrylic to support that corner, tested the steel angle - would support the weight down, the acrylic is still a theory, haven't pulled out the torch to test it yet. But it would be more of a hassle to keep clean.

The only structual concern is the bracing for the top tank.

If the stand is built into a room corner, maybe we could leverage the existing walls for support, instead of think of it as a free standing structure.

Do you think something like 2x6's lag bolted into studs or additional framing would hold a full tank?

jp

I like countertopguy's design. The supports in the front corner won't detract from the view. There is an obstruction there anyway from the silicone in the corner. If at least some of the side panels are hinged (or removable) I think that design is a winner.

Since it is going to be top-heavy I suggest bolting it to the wall. If the panels on the 2 front sides extend higher than the top by a couple of inches, you can hide some angle brackets up there.

Matt

Back