Stand Design

chriscobb

I'm trying to design a stand for a 4x4 cube, out of dimensional lumber. The issue is that I don't want any center support in the middle of the stand. What would be the sizing of material to accomodate the weight?

4X4 cube so most likely only support in all 4 corners? Atleast 2.5 top but even then I think thats not enough. Maybe like a 1.5" plate of steel? lol

Oh no, there they go again...

Use oak 6x6's in the corners and tripled 2x12's for everything horizontal!

That's sarcasm, if you don't mind supports on the L&R sides, you can build it out of 2x4s. If the tank is 24" tall, not 20", it's 240g and basically just 2 120's stuck together. I would assume the tank is 30" tall since his "current tanks" says 300g. That can still be supported by 12 vertical legs (2 in each corner and 2 more per side spaced roughly 16" on center), and 4 horizontal 2x4s placed on top of those legs. All covered in your choice thickness (1/4" - 3/4") plywood will be plenty to support your tank. You can easily avoid center supports , leaving your full stand floor open for equipment.

I want to see pics of the tank. :) I love cubes, and dream of a 4x4 one or larger. You have a center overflow and 4 viewing sides?

No the proposed tank is going to be a 240 cube tank.....Planning on doing the stand out of wood, because cheaper than steel, I was considering doing a laminated beam with either 2x6 or 2x8 to carry the weight with legs in each corner with cripple studs at the main legs....Not considering doing legs on the sides of the stand since the top rim of the stand would be doubled all the way around....Don't really have an issue with putting a center support in the back of the stand, but want the front wide open for easy access....

The tank will be a 4x4 cube, but haven't totally decided on height of 24" or 30". The tank will have an external overflow the length of the back and on the left side will have 2 external boxes for Tunze waveboxes......Still working out some other details on tank design before submitting them to James @ Envision for his final review......Still need more ideas.....

Back