Stand for a custom 150 gallon

PinkPunisher

So I just recently put down a deposit on a 5'x2'x2' 150 gallon tank from a guy on Kijiji. The stand that comes with it is no taller than 18" and as such is useless to me. So since this is a non standard tank size I'm unable to just buy a steel tube stand and skin it so I'll be forced to build a wood stand. I'd like to make the wood stand as light as possible (moving in a little over a year) and build it intelligently to hold the weight and not simply go super overkill. This is the frame I've come up with so far, not sure if it would be strong enough or if I should consider adding a couple more 2x4s.

Stand%201.png~original

It is built completely of 2x4s, the legs are fully supporting the top and doesn't rely on the strength of the screws but the wood itself. It will have a 1/2" layer of plywood on the top followed by a layer or yogamat then the tank, would styrofoam be better than the yogamat? The very bottom may get a 1/2" sheet of plywood also just to give it a little more strength. The bottom inside of the stand (where it black) will be lined with a pond liner to catch any water from leaks or spills.

Also I should mention I currently have it sketched out to be 28.75" tall before the tank is on it, do you think I should go taller? I only had my metal tube stand on my current 75 gallon to really compare to.

Would love some opinions from people who have built stands for tanks close to weight or larger! :bounce3:

I'm not sure why you think you can't go metal?
5x2x2 is a very standard size, if that is your first though why not.
I'm a carpenter and build my own, and even though both will work, even I will admit metal is better.
I also think you should go taller than that so you have room for gear, my stand is 40" tall for my 120g.

Erica Says Do not tell Davocean that she agrees with him but Erica Told me she Does..

sHHHHHHHH PLEASE Do not tell him... His head will swell like a puffer fish

I don't how common 5x2x2 tanks are where your from but here in Ontario they're quite rare and always custom made. I've found two tanks with those dimensions in the last two years. I know for sure that the LFSs around me don't have those size stands. Also 40" tall seems a bit too tall for me. I'd prefer not to need a step ladder during regular tank maintances haha

Structurally does my blueprint look sound or should I consider adding a couple extra 2x4s vertically?

I don't how common 5x2x2 tanks are where your from but here in Ontario they're quite rare and always custom made. I've found two tanks with those dimensions in the last two years. I know for sure that the LFSs around me don't have those size stands. Also 40" tall seems a bit too tall for me. I'd prefer not to need a step ladder during regular tank maintances haha

Structurally does my blueprint look sound or should I consider adding a couple extra 2x4s vertically?

what you have in the op post is very SOLID....

Might be more stable with a sheet of 1/4" ply on the back. Make any skin you put on it removable and you're still keeping it light weight for the move. Possibly incorporate any decorative trim into removable door panels.

what you have in the op post is very SOLID....

Just what I was hoping to hear, appreciated!

Might be more stable with a sheet of 1/4" ply on the back. Make any skin you put on it removable and you're still keeping it light weight for the move. Possibly incorporate any decorative trim into removable door panels.

I don't know if I'll do anything on the back of the stand just so I have decent airflow through the sump as I'd prefer not to have any vent holes on the sides/front. Skin being removable sounds convenient if I ever wanna upgrade my sump or if something ever happens to it then its not such a hassle.

The drawing you posted appears to be pretty fine, but you should look at rocketengineers DIY stand template to make sure you are fastening everything properly.
Do as you wish for stand height but I would not go less than 36" so you can have a skimmer and raise it to the proper level.
Even if your stand was only 30" and you add a 24" tank on top I would still expect the need for at least a step ladder at times, just FYI

Also, it's helpful to us and you to have your location on your avatar, as some of us do understand the restrictions that come w/ that, and I'm aware Canada does not get a lot of things we can easily get here.

I don't know if I'll do anything on the back of the stand just so I have decent airflow through the sump as I'd prefer not to have any vent holes on the sides/front. Skin being removable sounds convenient if I ever wanna upgrade my sump or if something ever happens to it then its not such a hassle.

On mine I cut a 8"x36" hole in the back plywood for air flow and piping/electrical. There is a center support and the plywood is glued/screwed around perimeter and up the center support. An elephant couldn't get it to rack. A pair of 18"x18" holes would still allow air flow and prevent any kind of racking.

Taking a glance at his design the only real difference is that mine lacks the green marked 2x4s inside the stand, and from what I can gather there more to prevent from collapsing if you bump it from the side. In which case some plywood along the back as suggested below should provide the same reinforcement I would think?

Also in regards to your concern on skimmer height, I won't be putting a 'floor' to my stand so it will just go liner, then 40 breeder sump so I should have upwards of at least 27" of height for my skimmer. Worst case scenario I add some plywood under the stand to protect the liner I lose 1/4" to a 1/2".

Looks good conceptually, my only concern is how you are going to get Stan Lee to stand next to the real one? :)

Gotta love Google Sketchup models eh? :clown:

On mine I cut a 8"x36" hole in the back plywood for air flow and piping/electrical. There is a center support and the plywood is glued/screwed around perimeter and up the center support. An elephant couldn't get it to rack. A pair of 18"x18" holes would still allow air flow and prevent any kind of racking.

I will likely add plywood to the back and do as you did for the extra strength. Do you think it would be necessary to throw on a couple PC fans for extra air flow or should a 8"x48" strip be enough? I should mention that because the tank isn't drilled I'll be using a HOB overflow box so my tank will be at least 4" off the wall. So between the gap between the wall and the hole in the plywood that should be plenty of air flow?

I would guess it will be fine but that is a question for someone more experienced with the hobby. It may just come down to what you choose for a skin for it. I just noticed that your stand looks to be all 2x4s. If you use 2x6s for the top horizontals you won't need the center supports. After building mine I've decided to remove the front center support, which is not needed.

Taking a glance at his design the only real difference is that mine lacks the green marked 2x4s inside the stand, and from what I can gather there more to prevent from collapsing if you bump it from the side. In which case some plywood along the back as suggested below should provide the same reinforcement I would think?

Also in regards to your concern on skimmer height, I won't be putting a 'floor' to my stand so it will just go liner, then 40 breeder sump so I should have upwards of at least 27" of height for my skimmer. Worst case scenario I add some plywood under the stand to protect the liner I lose 1/4" to a 1/2".

Gotta love Google Sketchup models eh? :clown:

I will likely add plywood to the back and do as you did for the extra strength. Do you think it would be necessary to throw on a couple PC fans for extra air flow or should a 8"x48" strip be enough? I should mention that because the tank isn't drilled I'll be using a HOB overflow box so my tank will be at least 4" off the wall. So between the gap between the wall and the hole in the plywood that should be plenty of air flow?

Yes, the ply will add shear strength, but the sacrifice to that would be moisture and heat.
You will definitely needs vents and most likely fans

Yes, the ply will add shear strength, but the sacrifice to that would be moisture and heat.
You will definitely needs vents and most likely fans

Do you think two 120mm fans would suffice or would I need to bump it up to four? I was thinking one pushing in and pulling air out. If I'm going to be putting fans on I way as well not even bother cutting out a strip in the back of the stand specifically for airflow and I will just drill a few holes for pipes and wires. The tank will be my living room so its probably for the best anyways as it will help reduce sump noises.

Back