Starfire, Starphire, Ultra Clear Glass

rldcpa

I need to know if these low iron glass tank brands make the tank appear "clearer" or just "less green".

If its only color, then would LED lights make up for this color aberation.

Also, would a 165 gallon tank with 3/8ths glass make that much difference in the appearance of the glass if you get one of these low iron glass brands?

I am a newb to this as well but am currently cleaning my 100g "standard" 3/8" glass tank having filled it full of water/vinegar solution with circulation. I will say that I do notice a greenish tint when looking into the tank, but then again, the tank is outside on the concrete patio in broad daylight with nothing else inside so any discoloration is definitely more noticeable.

However, I do believe that with the typical blue-ish tint of aquarium lighting it may not be perceivable at all. In fact, whenever I visit the different LFS I absolutely can not see any greenish tint in all the glass frag tanks on display (no one had low-iron glass).

Just my observation so far but will post updates as I get it finally established.

The 'clear' or starfire glass has no green tint. So everything in the tank has a bit less green look. The one place I find it makes a difference is when looking at anything in the tank that is blue. Look at a blue clam or a blue coral (I know, I know, find a blue coral) thru regular glass and then look down thru the top of the water and you will see how the green tint in the regular glass makes a difference. It's not a big difference (to my eyes or mind) but there is a difference. I have serious doubts that if I ever buy another tank, I would pay the extra for starfire glass. I just don't think a small color shift is that big a deal. And BTW, you may be able to do some color shifting by adjusting led lights, but you still have to look thru green glass.

When you have several hundred watts of lights blaring, I do not believe you
can tell the difference between regular glass and starphire.

With just the room lights, it then becomes more noticeable.

I have 3-sided 3/4" starphire.

There are very good comparison photos you can find online. Simply type "starphire glass comparison" or "optiwhite glass comparison" in Google Images and see for yourself.

3-sided?

3-sided?

When you have several hundred watts of lights blaring, I do not believe you
can tell the difference between regular glass and starphire.

With just the room lights, it then becomes more noticeable.

I have 3-sided 3/4" starphire.

Geaux xman hey!
Sorry to hijack...but this thing won't let me send PMs yet...
I would love to know more about your three-sided...trying one myself and hitting some obstacles.

Tagging along on this thread!
Thanks!
Dave

Back