Starfish ID?

Yellow05gt

Can someone ID this starfish?
23837795239206aae89100bc7f22b71d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah okay..was asking as, from what I know if you lift them out of the water most if not all will die

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Ah okay..was asking as, from what I know if you lift them out of the water most if not all will die

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

I figured that's why you asked, but I have owned many different stars and have never had an issue with them being out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone ID this starfish?

Looks like an Astropecten genus species of sand star. My guess would be Astropecten bispinosus or A. irregularis but it's just a guess. I'm not sure where the idea of lifting them out of water kills them comes from. Starfish in my tanks have been lifted out of water, some multiple times when moved or showing anatomy to people.

I'm not sure where the idea of lifting them out of water kills them comes from. Starfish in my tanks have been lifted out of water, some multiple times when moved or showing anatomy to people.

Mine as well. I would venture to guess that someone needed something to blame a starfish death on and picked that. Then posted it on the web. That, of course, makes it a FACT!

Back