Start of cyano problem

coopdogyo

I am noticeing some cyano in the back of my tank behind my rock structure. the tank is still cycleing and has no fish in it. I just got a new protien skimmer and it has not yet broken in. I have also ordered another power head cause 2 k3's in a 72 does not seem to be enough. I have also scaled back my lighting by cutting it down from 8 bulbs to 4 bulbs on at a time. I am aslo running carbon and phosphate remover. Should this be enough?

What did you use to start the cycle?With out any fish and if your not feeding the tank red slime will go away unless there is die off (live rock).when the cycle is done slime will go away if you don't add fish or feed the tank.Do weekly water changes (when cycle is finished).Cyano needs food... starve it, ie. light, fish waste, over feeding,and skimm the doo doo out of that tank!:)

i did by several new pieces of rock and some other pieces of rock were out of the tank while i rearranged things.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14757370#post14757370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coopdogyo
lights off for 24 hours and the cyano is gone

Not necessarily. Cyano can be from numerous things, most likely its from excess nutrients in the water. Lower the phosphates and nitrates and it will disappear.

Back