Start Smart Complete or Complete Stupid Start?

9501gle

Hello fellow reef addicts. After running my tank off in the ditch in a complete crash 2 years ago I just couldnt stand looking at it empty any longer. Filled it with water and the other nesassary ingrediants (yes I flunked spelling lol) and fired the old pump back up yesterday. So today I made the trip to the LFS to get some live sand to seed my sand bed with. While there the owner claimed to have a product called Start Smart Complete that would cycle my tank in 24 hrs. Naturally being the sceptic I am I told him that was snake oil but he insisted he had been using it in home setups and adding fish at the same time with no problems. Now I have to admit this guy has never steered me wrong before so I got some plus 3 chromis (which he says he will replace if they die) came home and added the snake oil and fish. As I write this I am very sceptical as to the out come of this adventure. Anyone else?

Personally I have always found those products to be total junk. And I would be shocked if the tank cycled in 24 hrs. I have just found that rushing in this hobby doesn't end well. I would keep a very close eye on the parameters and be prepared to make quick water changes. Good luck

Yeah I agree and if anybody else had told me this I would'nt have even considered it. I'm probally an idiot for even trying it but I dont really have much to lose at this point in the game. I'm going to say a prayer for the 3 chromis tonight and hope for a miracle.

I bought two bottles to cycle my tank a couple weeks ago. It had no effect on my cycle, I'm still getting an ammonia reading. I picked up some microbac 7?? From brightwell aquatics and it seems to be working. That Smart Start is junk.

i would assume the start smart is either a bacterial culture or n ammonia source....either way there is nothing that happens quickly in this hobby other then bad stuff...

Well just thought I'd give an update. I'm not saying smart start is the end all be all cure for cycling but as of today my fish are still alive and doing very well. I dont test for amm or nitrite so I cant give those readings but my nitrates are around 2ppm per salifert and po4 is 0.0 per hanna checker. The fish have never shown any ill effects and have eaten well every day since added. Granted I do run gfo,carbon,purigen, filter socks and have a good skimmer. I must say I've been very impressed with whats going on in the tank. I've been seeing a normal diatom bloom for the past week and cleaned the rocks with a toothbrush last night for the second time and today am not seeing any regrowth.

Back