Starting 224 gallon build. Need opinions!

johnicd

Alright well lets jump right into it. I work at a local pet store here in Kansas City, Missouri. I was approached by a gentleman today who wanted a custom 5'x3'x2' acrylic tank. He has hired me to completely set up his tank and maintenance it. He would like it to be a fish only with live rock tank with the main focal point of the tank being tangs.

Me personally, I know quite a bit about saltwater aquariums as I have two of my own. But I know hardly anything about building a tank to this size. My plan is to have www.midwestcustomaquariums.com build the tank and order the other items through my suppliers here at the store.

The tank will be placed behind a bar area and he would like to have his own salt vat and rodi system for ease of water changes. The first thing I need to know is what type of electrical should run this tank. I need to know this question quite soon because the house is in construction now and electrical is being installed within the week.

If I could have opinions on what would be the best thing to do would be great. My plans are to have the tank drilled for dual overflows in each corner. Is this a good idea or should I venture down some other route? Thanks for all of your help guys. I really do appreciate it.

John McNary

I would post this in the Large Reef Tank forum. There are some people there that have done this kind of thing and can help better.

How much electricity you will need will vary a lot based on the components you use for the tank. Anywhere from 1-4 x 20amp circuits may be required.

Back