Starting a larger tank need advice!

Louiedogphilly

Hey guys. Finally starting a larger tank (48x20x21) and need little advice as I've only run much smaller tanks until now.

First off, lighting. The new Kessil ap9x looks nice, and I know its fairly new so there may not be a lot of hands-on experience with it yet, but maybe people with the AP700 can give their impression on using one for this size tank. Also considering 2 hydra hd 32s, looking for pros/cons.

Second, looking for in-sump skimmer recommendations as I've only run HOBs and small in-tanks up until now.

Third, heating... was thinking about 3-75 watt jagers as I've heard its better to spread it out over multiple small heaters rather than one large.

Any and all input greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

How many/how big heaters you need depends on your minimum ambient temperature. I set my RSR 525 up recently (525 l/140g) and found I needed to go to a 400W Eheim Jager to keep the tank temperature up overnight - even the 300W Jager wasn't quite enough and my backup 300W heater kept kicking in overnight. The 400 however keeps up with it by itself. I am in Sydney Australia and we are getting down to 6 degrees C (43F) overnight, and the tank is in a large tiled room so it gets cool.

I am running a primary and backup which are Apex controlled but another option as previously said is to run a couple of heaters in parallel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am also starting an upgrade. I have a 40g that has been up for 6 months and just got a used 150 (60x24x24) and am having a lot of the same questions.

Lighting i am probably going with 2-3 Noopsyche k7 or Hydra 32's. I plan mainly LPS so I will start with 2 and upgrade as needed.

Skimmer I havent decided but was leaning toward an RSK 300.

Heaters I was going to go with 2 on an ink bird type controller. Probably 2 300 watt BRS titanium.

Nothing is set in stone yet, I have to water test this tank and figure out alot of stuff. But thats how I am leaning

I think lighting is what I'm struggling with the most right now. Something like the AP9X seems ideal, but a BRS video I just watched recommends 2 for a 48 inch tank, which is a lot. Was hoping something like that would be able to do the whole tank by itself. Otherwise why wouldn't I just get 2 360x? Just looking for someone that has experience with both Kessil and hydras. Don't want to me the wrong decision with this kind of investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you watch the BRS video on the 360x they suggest 4 of those over a 4ft tank. Two AP9x is cheaper than 4 360x.

Yeah I saw that, I kinda feel like 3 360x would be decent though, but at the same time 2 AP9X is only slightly more so I'm a bit torn. I just want this tank to be great, and not settle for things like I've done in the past like reef breeders where you're just like, "œwell this is okay..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back