Startting an all SPS tank, lighting questions

parrthed

Hello all,
I am finally going to start up me an all SPS tank. I have been keeping LPS and SPS for years in my mixed reefs. Anyways, I am having the hardest time deciding how to light my tank. I am going halides, no offense T5 reefers, Im just a halide guy.

Tank specs: Glass Cages 48"x24"x12" no center brace.
Goal: To keep an exclusive SPS tank

Heres what I have come down to:

2x250w DE or SE Lumen Bright Pendants or
2x150w DE Sunlight Supply Lumenmax 3 Pendants

I have scoured the forums for any and all info I can find. Great stuff I may add but I want your opinions.

Since my tank is only 12" deep and I will be running it barebottom. Will 2x250 be overkill? I run 2x150 on my 75 and all is great with all the LPS and Monti. So will 2x150 be more appropriate for a 12"deep tank.

Feel free to post any opinions or better halide options.

Thanks,
Happy reefing

either will work well. 150's should be more than fine at that depth. 250's will work too, but you might have heating problems...

That's 12 inches top to bottom or front to back. I would go 150's I tihnk, but if it's possible I'd have a look at the Elos e-power pendants and get a pair. I'm not sure how they compare in cost tho', but they really are a beautiful pendant, and the performance is very good, very strong smooth spread of light. I tihnk they can be gotten with/without a ballast - the one I saw had the elos ballast on it.

i think the e-power pendants would easily double/triple his current plan for lighting. I have to admit though those look nice AND they work well.

Thanks for the replies.

The Elos pendants are awesome but a little too pricey for me at the moment.

I am leaning towards 150w but the killer is I can go 250w for a few dollars more.

The tank is 12" deep and 24" wide. I just want to have my bases covered. I know its a matter of personal opinion but I am just being indecisive.

I would go 250 I think and just raise them a little higher off the surface... I've seen many a frag tank with a 250 on top and a depth of no more than 12". I guess it all depends on how it would look to have your lights 12" off the surface.

i agree that heat may be an issue with the 250s and the 150s will prob do better with 12" depth

250w SE will give you the most choice in bulbs, I have a 250w SE 14" off a 10g nano and have no heat issues

The choice is made! The traveler has come!:dance:
I have decided on the Coralvue Lumenbrights in 250w DE with EVC 20K bulbs

I am planning on mounting them 12" from the waters surface.

One major factor in the choice over SE was that the DE have Glass lenses which I hope will protect the reflector from salt spray and pitting. Plus I have a coralvue ballast already.

This is going to be one cool tank. I picked up my stand today from the fabricator and took it to get linexed. I went 48" tall to put the tank right at viewing height.

Thanks again for all the replies. I will start a build thread in a week or so.

Back