stinky pump water

hoffmant

I have a chiller that has its own temp controller. I have pluged the pump for the water to the chiller into the temp controller so the pump only comes on when the chiller comes on. Everything works great but the chiller might not come on for several days at a time and when it does the water smells that comes out of the line. Is it bad to have the water sit in the lines for days and not moved around. Smells like my skimmer real bad.

I'm not familiar with chillers but it sounds like anaerobic bacteria is consuming nutrients in your water lines. Can you attach a carbon filter between your pump and chiller?

I dont own a chiller but this comes to mind... Dont plug the pump into the temp controller and leave it running? or put the chiller and pump on a timer, so it can be run for an hour every 4 or something, if the temp probe is always on, it will tell the chiller to cool when the timer clicks on

letting the water sit is NOT a good idea. If your system was smaller you would probably have crash problems. Even with your larger system your taking a chance with the different bacteria load emanating from the stagnant water. It stinks for a reason:)

I think i might have to let the pump run all the time but its a ps4 and it makes the tank warmer by about 2-3*. It makes the chiller come on even more often

Back