LJA

90 Gallon

Current inhabitants:

2 small cinnamon clowns
1 small yellow tang
1 small coral beauty angel

Proposed additions:

1 male 2 female lyretails

Feedings will be adequate, thoughts on overall compatibility/stocking level?

From your avatar is that your tank? Looks like a cube, I'd downsize the tang and get some flasher wrasse or anthias like your saying. What about a goby or blenny?

Can't comment on the tang issue without being a hypocrite
MkLKU9Xl.jpg

please don't take me to jail!!!!

A small harem of lyertail anthias would be neat, however you say feedings will be "adequate" care to elaborate?

Also with the Tang already being established, it might be hard to introduce them. Also are the Clowns a mated pair? Cinnamons are in the top 3 as being the most aggressive clownfish. So good luck. Oh by the way, the Coral Beauty can be a jerk to newcomers also. If it works that would be a good selection and nice color for the tank.

Yeah, you have an extremely aggressive stocking list... I don't think adding the anthias would go over well unless the tang is removed, and rockwork moved around. Tang should go either way..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 fish in a 90g is aggressive? Wow, I am a monster then.

That list looks more than fine to me. I'd add a wrasse or two. Look into a hawkfish (flame and longnose are both cool).

It's not the number of fish, it's the aggressiveness of the fish that's already established that would make it hard to introduce anything new. @brett559, I'm assuming you haven't kept cinnamon clowns or an established tang, trying to add something new.

Haven't keep cinnamon clowns. In my prior tank I kept tangs - the aggression would usually subside after a few hours or a day or two.

I think what BigBlueTang is saying that the Anthias might not make it in that tank with semi-aggressive to aggressive already being established. If they were added before than probably would be ok without an problem

From your avatar is that your tank? Looks like a cube, I'd downsize the tang and get some flasher wrasse or anthias like your saying. What about a goby or blenny?

That's a pic of an old tank, current question relates to a standard 90g

Can't comment on the tang issue without being a hypocrite
MkLKU9Xl.jpg

please don't take me to jail!!!!

I wanted to avoid the tang police!! lol, I forgot to post a pic of my get out of tang jail free card.

A small harem of lyertail anthias would be neat, however you say feedings will be "adequate" care to elaborate?

Twice a day

Also with the Tang already being established, it might be hard to introduce them. Also are the Clowns a mated pair? Cinnamons are in the top 3 as being the most aggressive clownfish. So good luck. Oh by the way, the Coral Beauty can be a jerk to newcomers also. If it works that would be a good selection and nice color for the tank.

Tang is 2" and has been in the tank 3 weeks, clowns are 1.5" have been in the tank 2 months. The clowns are not mated but are paired. The coral beauty is real mellow, ignores all the other fish currently.

It's not the number of fish, it's the aggressiveness of the fish that's already established that would make it hard to introduce anything new. @brett559, I'm assuming you haven't kept cinnamon clowns or an established tang, trying to add something new.

All current fish are small as noted above. The largest is the angel at about 3".

I think what BigBlueTang is saying that the Anthias might not make it in that tank with semi-aggressive to aggressive already being established. If they were added before than probably would be ok without an problem

With the above answered considerations, if I find a small trio of lyretails - could it work? Would a duo (1 male 1 female) be more reasonable?

My recommendation would be no, do not add them. If you have to have them, then purchase you an acclimation box and put them in there for a few days and just see how the other fish react. Your case might be different than others, but IME, established Yellow Tangs and Coral Beautys are pretty aggressive to newcomers.

regardless of tank size, i have never seen a yellow tang harass, bully anthias. not sure where you guys are getting this?

you are right I never seen them harass anthias as long as the anthias are established before the tang, but I have seen it when the anthias were added after an established tang.

Back