Stocking options with s. brasiliensis

welsher7

I have a 75g tank that I'm going to setup for my very fast growing s. brasiliensis. I swear every time I look at it this fish it is bigger. I was thinking about my stocking options.
I know I can throw in a couple dispensable damsels, but I was thinking about a lionfish. Maybe a fuzzy or maybe even a russells. I would really like a radiata or antennata but I don't see those very often around here. I saw really nice fuzzy that my lfs got in this week. I know feeding might be more difficult because the lionfish would probably out compete the s. brasiliensis for food, but I could get around that with feeding the lionfish first then stick or target feeding the s. brasiliensis.

Lisa, Greg, or Renee any opinions on what else could be thrown in with it?

On a side note. I still haven't been able to get it to eat anything but silversides. I have tried pieces of shrimp, tiny whole river shrimp, and some chunks of fish. I'm thinking it might be the shape of the food. I was cutting cubes like I would for eel or russells when I had it. Maybe I should be trying longer thinner pieces. Any advice on this? Is a diet of silversides stuffed with nls pellets ok for the s. brasiliensis?

Dan,

you realize this thread is ENTIRELY useless without pix, don't you?

our brasiliensis is a wonderful fish and a SUPER aggressive eater. it's currently residing with a fuzzy dwarf and a S. litoralis...talk about a "hungry" tank. in fact, it's weird to walk into that room and have these 3 bright red fish all begging at once.

how are you feeding the fish? target or "water column"?

Let me see what pics I have online. I took some a couple weeks ago.

Right now I feed by dropping the silverside in the water column. If it is really hungry it swims up and sits on top of the tunze and waits for me to drop in some food.

It is an older picture and not a good one at that.
DSC_0031.jpg

sweet fish, Dan!

funny how these guys tend to "demand" food. ours will actually swim up and down at the front of the tank if his "bouncing" on the substrate doesn't seem to be working on us. i know these are fairly common, but what delightful fish they are!

Renee beat me to the stick thing... :)

I have only tried to stick feed it when i first got it. It tried to feed off the stick but it was a half hearted effort. So began just dropping the food by it and it ate with gusto that way. I will have to try and stick feed again next week.

Back