Stocking order for 45 gallon

ambaratur

Premium Member
I have started a 45 gallon tank that I intend to use for softies & LPS as well as some fish that I did not feel comfortable placing in my larger reef tank.

I have my potential stocking list completed, but I have never kept any of these semi-aggressive fish before so I thought I would solicit input on what order to add them to the tank.

The main purpose for the tank was to keep the yellowtail blue damselfish so those fish are a must in this list but the others could be altered if necessary.

The initial order I was thinking was the following:
1. 6 line wrasse
2. Purple Pseudochromis
3. 3 x Yellowtail Blue Damselfish
4. 2 x Tomato Clownfish
5. 1 x Longnose Hawkfish

The tank is a 45 gallon (36 x 12 x 24) and has about 40 lbs of live rock right now, Tunze 9005 protein skimmer, 2 x Koralia 3 powerheads, and 2 AquaClear 70 power filters. I intend to use a modified AquaClear 110 in the future as a HOB refugium just for fun.

Thanks for your input!

Very cool stock list. Just to keep in mind, you won't be able to keep any peppermint shrimp with the Pseaudo and possibly the hawk so keep that in mind for aipstasia purposes. The only other thing that comes to mind is that the Tomato's tend to kick up a lot of sand in their constant digging in the sand. Keep that in mind for placing corals on the bottom of your tank. You'll likely see many sandstorms from those fish.

Thanks.

The tomatos are subject to change. I just wanted to try a species of clownfish other than the false perc. for a difference.

How about the stocking order - any input there?

Thanks again

Perhaps - or I may just switch to a different clown species.

Also I guess that the pseudochromis is out - I read that they will even attack large ornamental shrimp - so I will be re-thinking that as well.

Back