Stocking?

reeflover33

I am looking to purchase an already established large tank and I have been doing some research. I found someone selling their 220 gallon near by but there are a lot of large fish. It sounds like a beautiful tank but i think it is over stocked. Can someone with experience please let me know?

this is what the ad says, "Hi , you are bidding on my Marineland 220 gallon glass saltwater aquarium set-up . It is in excellent condition ; it has been set up for five years . Its dimensions are 72"H X 24"W X 30"H . It is reef-ready and has two built-in overflows . It comes with over 250 lbs. of live rock , live sand , and 13 fish . It features a Pro-Clear undertank sump with two Eheim return pumps , an Ocean Clear cannister filter with two extra cartridges , a Tunze sump protein skimmer , a Remora hang on tank protein skimmer , an Oceanic chiller , 4 Tunze powerheads , a Jaeger water heater , an Aquafuge hang on tank refugium with algae , an Eheim Pro II cannister filter , an Aqua UV sterilizer , a Current Nova Extreme Pro lighting system , and a magnetic algae remover . The fish include : a show size Emperor Angel , a show size Sohal Tang , a large Clown Trigger , a show size male Blonde Naso Tang ,a Dejardins Sailfin Tang , an show size Indian Trigger , a white spotted Moray eel , a white-mouthed Moray eel , aa Australian Tusk Fish , a Yellow Tang a Dog-faced Puffer , a one-spot Foxface , a Mineateus Grouper , two Regal Tangs , a male Bird Wrasse , and a female Blue-Jaw Trigger . I have had these fish for a long time and they are all healthy . This set-up new with the large fish cost over $12,000.00 new . I do not have time for them anymore . My loss is your gain . This set-up is complete and needs nothing . I might consider selling the fish individually but only with local pick up , no shipping . $4700.00 or best offer . Thank you very much. "

Yeah, that's an absurd stocking list. If I were you, and you were set on buying this setup I would speak with your local fish store ahead of time and see if they will take them all for you and offer you store credit.

Then, after your tank has settled down for a month or so you can start restocking it with smaller, more peaceful fish and have a much nicer setup at the end of the day.

Yeah, that's an absurd stocking list. If I were you, and you were set on buying this setup I would speak with your local fish store ahead of time and see if they will take them all for you and offer you store credit.

Then, after your tank has settled down for a month or so you can start restocking it with smaller, more peaceful fish and have a much nicer setup at the end of the day.

Thats what I was thinking... can you give some examples of some fish that would do well in this tank/environment?

I would trade those fish in. You should be able to get some nice value out of them depending on your LFS situation.

I am currently upgrading my 65G to a 220, with a similar amount of live rock/sand, huge skimmer, modest sump and refugium, etc...

Here is my build thread if you are interested:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2510597

My stocking list will be something similar to:

2 x Ocellaris Clowns
Yellow Tail Damsel
Chromis
5 x Neon Gobies
Watchman Goby
Clown Goby
Firefish
5 x Anthias
2 x Cardinals (Bangaii or PJ)
File fish
Mandarin Dragonet (aiming for a full year at this point)
Foxface (Lo or One spot)
Achilles Tang
Koles Tang

I feel this is a lot of fish, so I will not likely actually go this far. I will add fish until I feel it is a good size. My goal is for corals, not fish, however, I find some of these fish pretty neat. Several of these fish are also fairly small, while I believe the fish you listed are mostly quite large (I am not sure about that though). Aside from the File fish and one neon goby, this list is reasonably researched and compatibility approved by the "Check your intended livestock" thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23918820#post23919171

I recommend reading through the above thread, try searching for 180 and 220 gallon tanks to find what is suitable for your size tank, and what is compatible. The moderator of that thread is very responsive and knowledgeable.

I searched on your description and think I found the posting. To me that is an outrageous price and I would go a different direction. Look on CL and find a tank to start with and then build your own system. I think you'd be much happier in the long run. Why is the seller unloading the tank? With those species I doubt you'll ever be able to make it reef-like.

Have you gone to a local fish store and asked what they could set you with for 5 grand? That is a huge chunk of change to drop at once and the local LFS's would be fighting to hook you up.

While Current makes OK lighting, they are just OK. You can do better. And I've never been a fan of canister filters.

It must the the most repeated phrase on RC, but good things happen slowly in this hobby/obsession. And it is so true.

If you're insistent on buying a "finished tank" talk to your local stores about someone that can set it up and maintain it for you. There are lots of entities that do that kind of thing (for offices and restaurants, etc). Just my opinion...

Have you gone to a local fish store and asked what they could set you with for 5 grand?

Thats's a good point and I hadn't noticed the cost. 5 grand would be better spent with maybe a new tank/lighting/equipment and then sourcing some dry rock/sand and slowly building the fish/coral population.

I'd be very tempted to keep the Desjardini Sailfin Tang , Yellow Tang and one-spot Foxface.

Back