Stores selling cured live rock

Tropi-quatics in Lombard, Main street south of St. charles road, always has a variety of cured rock. It is usually between $5-$9 depending on the kind of rock.

Hi all,
First of all, we're waiting for a payout and SWMBO is patiently waiting for that to buy the tank. She's more patient than me and since this is her tank, what she says goes. (I'm her technical adviser and that's why I'm studying here. ;) )

Since then, we saw that Reef Depot sells the Rd Sea Max (our tank of choice) with quite a bit of stock for $1200 which seems like a good deal. Everything I hear about them here is good and we plan a visit soon to check them out. If all looks good, we'll probably go with their package.

So between the delay for the payout and getting the tank set up, cycled and eventually stocked with stuff from Reef Depot, it is going to be quite a while before we need anything else, but I'll be certain to check here first.

Since I've started watching, I've seen LR listed several times here so I think I would probably look here first.

But the stuff at Beyond the Reef sure was pretty. :D

thanks,
hank

Hank, you need to hang out here and be on the lookout for the LR, cuz it goes so fast! :D

I bought a few pieces of LR from Rod's last Friday for a nano that I was setting up. It is very nice rock with lots of life and he was selling it for a fair price.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12281944#post12281944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saleenpwr88
$13/lb...no way, that is rediculous. I would search around here for someone who is breaking down a tank and grab their rock, usually $3/lb or less. Probably has more life on it as well. If you think Beyond the Reef is nice...try some of the other LFS in the area and you will be pleasantly surprised...Reef Depot is south, Sea Schor and Sho Tank are north.

Na you don't know some stores here. Old town has liverock for $20/lbs. no coralline or anything but people still buy it . . . rich:D

I wasn't a reefer when I shopped at Old town, just had a FO tank when I lived in the city. Needless to say, I never bought from them. 10 years ago they charged crazy amts for fish, I used to drive out to wheeling and other further burbs to buy livestock.

wow, 20/lb unbelieveable!

Tell me about it and i had a reefer friend (retried) who bought a 100 lbs. from them. . . that day i knew i was going to die and he was going bankrupt :lol:

OMG - I cringe buying 25 lbs for 4-5/lb....it's freakin rock! ;)

btw, your signature needs a "=" instead of a "-" after "Reef", I don't get the math! :p

Old town is pricy, but that is exaggerating...its more like $10/lb, not including volume discounts. They also stand behind their products and have healthy livestock. I have bought fish there and will do so again because of the convenience, and some prices aren't that bad. I paid $50 for a Christmas wrasse and $50 for a flasher wrasse, and got two ricordia heads for $15, as a couple of examples.

^really because last time i was there it was $20 bucks no lie but maybe because that was a while ago :D :lol:

do they still have that mega over crowded FO tank in the front window? when I was a marine noob, I always looked at that tank in wonder. Now that I think back, it was kind of crazy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12403166#post12403166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gig
do they still have that mega over crowded FO tank in the front window? when I was a marine noob, I always looked at that tank in wonder. Now that I think back, it was kind of crazy.

They probably have 30 something fish in a 300 gallon in the window...

btw, I know you were kidding a bit when throwing out $20/lb, I agree it is expensive...

last I checked they had a nice imperatur angel (3.5 in. with adult coloration) for $180.

Also, while a "bargain" by no means, they generally get the uber-high-end fish and sell them at significantly less than online. For instance, they sold their clarion angel at 2k, liveaquaria was asking 3.5k for theirs. 1.2k for a conspic angel, liveaquaria wants 2k for theirs.

Back