Stores selling cured live rock

myfast

Hello,

I'm considering adding more live rock to my tank that's been running about a year. Do any of you have recommendations of stores in the Chicago area (I live in the western suburbs) that you trust for absolutely cured live rock?

Thanks!

Sho Tank on Route 45 in Mundelin. I've gotten rock from there and added it directly to my setup. While it wasn't anything to look at in the store that rock turned more purple than all of my other rocks combined in a short time.

Just got back from Reef Depot and they have a bunch thats been in the sump for a couple of weeks.

Bill

Hi Bill!

Yes, RD has a really nice selection or LR and it has some nice coralline algae growing on most if not all of the pieces.

After I'm done nuking my system I might get a couple of pieces to throw in my fuge while I wait for the pods to come back...

I'm wondering what others think of the LR at Beyond the Reef on (?) Golf. It's right in their display tanks and under pretty high lighting so it's well covered by coralline algae.

It's not cheap. They have several varieties going up to $13/lb. But it is the foundation of the tank, so it seems like a bad place to try to save $$$. OTOH, if good LR can be had for less...

SWMBO is leaning toward buying it for her soon to be Red Sea Max.

Overall, that is one of the better looking shops we've looked at in the area. (We still need to check out Reef Depot.)

thanks,
hank

$13/lb...no way, that is rediculous. I would search around here for someone who is breaking down a tank and grab their rock, usually $3/lb or less. Probably has more life on it as well. If you think Beyond the Reef is nice...try some of the other LFS in the area and you will be pleasantly surprised...Reef Depot is south, Sea Schor and Sho Tank are north.

I just got couple really nice flat pieces from Sea Schor, he had alot of nice pieces curring in the back that looked really nice, that was over a week ago so I am sure it is in the front tank by now.

Sho Tank has really nice pieces, i've never been impressed with the Rock at beyond the reef.....look like softballs....

Why not just add Marco Rocks? It comes in some great shapes, can be easily broken into what you need and it has no unwanted hitch hikers.

I've added some nice pieces from Beyond the Reef, never a problem. I watch their display and if I see a cool rock with a great shape I grab it.

HankB

Most Live Rock is overrated. Dont wast your money in many cases a DSB does the same job. I've used tufa rock mixed with some live fiji with great results.
LGGreenZoos.jpg

This is an old piece I picked up on a beach in Guam after a Typhoon. It was totally dead just calcium...10 years later full of life.

Also who cares what the rocks look like if your doing things right you wont be able to see it in 2-3 years as it will all be covered with various coral.

Tank3.jpg

IMHO Tufa is 1/2 the price of fiji and per volume its lighter so you get more reefscaping for the dollar. Use it in your display tank.
Then load up your sump and refug with as much regular live rock you can fit.:D

Bill

Last edited:
Where do you find Tufa rock? I thought Tufa rock was the the same stuff as stalagmites in caves?

Rod had some really sweet cured LR when I was there last week and he only wanted $3/lb. I wished I had room for more.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12281852#post12281852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HankB
I'm wondering what others think of the LR at Beyond the Reef on (?) Golf. It's right in their display tanks and under pretty high lighting so it's well covered by coralline algae.

It's not cheap. They have several varieties going up to $13/lb. But it is the foundation of the tank, so it seems like a bad place to try to save $$$. OTOH, if good LR can be had for less...

Overall, that is one of the better looking shops we've looked at in the area. (We still need to check out Reef Depot.)

thanks,
hank

I bought a lot of mine from Beyond the Reef, they give discounts if you buy a lot. That said, the rock I got from a fellow reefer breaking down his tank was just as nice, and $3/lb. If you your tank is up and you arent in a hurry, I'd just keep an eye on this board for someone selling their rock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12281852#post12281852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HankB

thanks,
hank

$13/lb?????? :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

highway robbery, do they charge an entrance fee to get in the store as well??? :rollface:

Most decent LFS sell it for $5-6/lb, go to Shotank, Matt has great prices and tons of cured LR usually.

Back