Storing salt

CheckitOut

I like to buy boxes of salt and was wondering if instead of keeping it in a plastic bag and in the cardboard box that it came in would putting it in a Rubbermaid storage container be ok? I do not want to contaminate the salt with and harmful stuff that the container may have.

It'll be fine in the storage container as long as you can keep moisture out of it. Moisture will tend to cause caking over time, and it might lead to calcium carbonate precipitation. In addition, any organics might tend to decay. So I'd be careful. What salt mix are you using?

Im switching to Hw marinemix. Ive been using Fritz and with recent issues with fritz consistency I'm making the switch. If I dumped the salt into the container and then put a lid on the container that wouldn't be better than just keeping it in the bag and box?

I'd just keep it in the bag and the box. That should be fine. The bag should be good enough to keep the salt in good shape for quite a while.

Unless it's an airtight container, or relatively air tight, condensation will cause it to cake up. As Bertoni already suggested, it may also cause organics to decay over time.

Bag in the box works for me, or I dump a couple bags into an old salt bucket that still has the gasket on the lid.

Unless it's an airtight container, or relatively air tight, condensation will cause it to cake up. As Bertoni already suggested, it may also cause organics to decay over time.

Bag in the box works for me, or I dump a couple bags into an old salt bucket that still has the gasket on the lid.

This is what I do. I keep a couple bags from the box closed and sealed and dump a couple into an old salt bucket with the gasket. When that's gone, the next 2 go in.

Back