Stormy's 120 Peninsula Build

Stormfront

Alright everyone, here we go. After a couple of years of being out of the reefing hobby, I've decided to give it another go.

So here is what I have planned for the entire setup:

120 gallon tank set up as a peninsula. The tank will be located between my living room and the kitchen area. This is done so the tank will be seen from a large portion of the house we use the most. The tank will have coral and fish, focusing mainly on LPS and SPS coral. Also, I'm going to be sticking to peaceful, easy to keep fish.

40 gallon sump tank. This sump is leftover from my old 75 gallon build. This sump is still in great condition, and for some reason I never unloaded it after I got rid of my 75 gallon setup. I plan to run a basement sump so I can have this tank, a couple of quarantine tanks (one for fish and one for coral) all downstairs. In the sump I'll run the skimmer, return pump, and a refugium.

I also want to run all my electronics, RODI, water mixing etc. down in the basement.

I plan on building the stand, canopy, and tables in the basement myself.

Equipment I'd like to run in the display tank:
Neptune Apex Controller
2x Ecotech MP40s
2x Kessil A360X led fixtures
Sicce Syncra DC pump (not sure on the size or even if I will go with this model)
Eheim heating elements (I've used these in the past and love em)
Reef Octopus skimmer (Not sure which one)

I managed to get a 120 aquarium from Mr. D smack. The aquarium needs a little TLC, but overall it's in good condition. I brought it home last Thursday and have been working on it off and on.

aDpyYOx

This is the tank right off the truck. At first glance, I knew I had to remove the existing plumbing, corner overflows, and the black paint off the back.

kByMXhQ

After several hours, I got the paint, plumbing, and overflows removed. I also went in with a razor blade and scraped off the worst of the dried algae on the glass. I've realized that some of the silicone is coming apart in some places, so I'm going to remove the silicone inside the tank (without removing the silicone holding the tank together) and reseal the tank just to be on the safe side. I'm also going to plug up the plumbing holes in the bottom and get the glass all cleaned up.

Sounds like a good build so far but If your sump will be in the basement, you will need a pressure rated pump to push water that high. I'm not aware of any hobbyist level DC pumps that are pressure rated.

I managed to get a 120 aquarium from Mr. D smack. The aquarium needs a little TLC, but overall it's in good condition. I brought it home last Thursday and have been working on it off and on.
Okay since I can't edit my previous post, here is the post with the pictures working:

This is the tank right off the truck. At first glance, I knew I had to remove the existing plumbing, corner overflows, and the black paint off the back. This picture shows me trying the razor blade on the paint a bit to see if it'd come off easily and for the most part it did.

aDpyYOx.jpg

After several hours, I got the paint, plumbing, and overflows removed. I also went in with a razor blade and scraped off the worst of the dried algae on the glass. I've realized that some of the silicone is coming apart in some places, so I'm going to remove the silicone inside the tank (without removing the silicone holding the tank together) and reseal the tank just to be on the safe side. I'm also going to plug up the plumbing holes in the bottom and get the glass all cleaned up.

kByMXhQ.jpg

That was my tank back in 1999. Solid Oceanic 120. Congratulations, it has an amazing history.

Welp... after another round with the cleaning agent, I'm convinced the glass is etched :( Now it looks like my options are to try cerium oxide (glass polishing compound) or go with a brand new tank..

Mine got etched after sitting awhile. I did not use the cerium oxide. I got most off it off filled it with water and hardly noticeable.

Well wet sanding didn't work on getting the etching out either.. So sadly, this tank wont be able to be used as a display tank.

I have thought about turning it into a sump... but I'm worried that the tank might be too big for what I have planned. I know many will say 'bigger is better' when it comes to sumps, but still.. 120 sump for a 120 display?

I used a 600 grit scotch pad. Magic erasure. I made a paste with bar keepers friend and wet paper towel. I don’t know if I have before and after pics. It is still there in a few spots. I’ll try and see if it shows up in a pic when I get home.

Okay, so the project stands thus -

After a lot of consideration and failed attempts to clean up the current 120 for use as a display tank, I have decided that I will instead, use it as my sump. I will then turn around and turn the 40 gallon breeder sump from my previous build into a frag tank. Those two tanks, plus a couple of smaller tanks for quarantine (one for coral, one for fish) will make up the fish room in the basement.

However, before I can start putting the fish room together, I have decided to repaint my basement walls and also tile the entire basement as well.

So now that brings me to my current question.. where's a good place in the St. Louis area to buy a new 120 gallon marineland or aqueon tank?

Back