Strange algae problem...Help!

jcgso

Saltwater Addict
I need some expert assistance. I have been battling this orange algae for a while now. The tank is almost three years old and I have had Reef tanks for the last seventeen years. I have never seen this algae anywhere, including online. It is not cyano and I don't think, diatoms. It will cover sand first, then rock and coral and any hard plastic surfaces. It can grow as long as 1/8". It does not respond to ChemiClean or any commercial algae control. I tried lights out for a week, which made it go away. However, as soon as I slowly started increasing light, it returned, even at just 8% of "normal" levels. My corals and anemones are suffering from no/low light. I have tons of flow, throughout the tank (90 gal). It does not blow away. I cut back on feeding. All parameters are fine and no high phosphates. Stumped, help!

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1
I need some expert assistance. I have been battling this orange algae for a while now. The tank is almost three years old and I have had Reef tanks for the last seventeen years. I have never seen this algae anywhere, including online. It is not cyano and I don't think, diatoms. It will cover sand first, then rock and coral and any hard plastic surfaces. It can grow as long as 1/8". It does not respond to ChemiClean or any commercial algae control. I tried lights out for a week, which made it go away. However, as soon as I slowly started increasing light, it returned, even at just 8% of "normal" levels. My corals and anemones are suffering from no/low light. I have tons of flow, throughout the tank (90 gal). It does not blow away. I cut back on feeding. All parameters are fine and no high phosphates. Stumped, help!

You'll need to provide more info than just those photos for this to be identified.

What does it feel like to touch?

Is it easily removed - scraped from the surfaces it grows on?

Can you get a scrape sample close up photo under good light on white paper?

good luck.

Scrubber_steve, feels kind of rough textured/scratchy. I can scrape off plastic with fingernail pressure. I will get a macro shot in A.M.

I've been trying to attach close-up pics for the last two days, but they won't load. Gives me an error message, saying security token missing. No response on problem from mods. Still having the algae problem.

Scrubber-steve, hopefully you can see the algae better now. To me, it looks like it's made of tiny circles.

Attachments

• IMG_7505.jpg
    IMG_7505.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7508.jpg
    IMG_7508.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
Looks like diatoms.

How's your cleanup crew? Diversity is key. A fighting conch and/or sea cucumber might help keep your sand clean. Multiple species of reproducing snails should help with the rocks. Also pods can help, and provide live food for your fish.

Scrubber-steve, hopefully you can see the algae better now. To me, it looks like it's made of tiny circles.

No, can't see it better. Need microscope shots to identify.
It looks like Cyrano, but Orange. Course like a calcareous turf ???
There's some unusual things grow in water, & you have one of them.

I suggest trying vibrant. Nothing to loose.

Back