Strange Brew

Buzz1329

So apparently my 180 tank has been taken over by aliens because I have no other explanation for what happened last night. I turned off the Tunze Osmolater yesterday afternoon, topped off my 29 gallon KW reservoir, added KW, mixed it with MJ 1200 pump for 15 minutes, removed the pump, turned off the RO/DI connection, and let the reservoir sit overnight.

The ATO tank is at the same level as the 40 gallon sump. The Tunze controller is above both the ATO reservoir and the sump. The Tunze pump is below the level where the KW drips into the sump

This morning, I found that about 10 gallons of the 29 gallon KW ATO had satanically transferred to the sump, spiking alkalinity and decreasing Salinity from 35 to 33. How could this happen? To repeat, the Tunze Osmolater was unplugged.

Somebody help me please . . .
Any explanation that does not include the words "œAmityville" and "œhorror" would be greatly appreciated.

The water level in the reservoir was higher than the level in the sump. TThere was enough water in the top-off hose to start a siphon.

George-Tsoukalos_Aliens.jpg

No aliens, hey? Bummer.

So the tube from the Tunze pump near the bottom of my 29 gallon ATO comes up over the top of the ATO, drops to the floor, comes back up and over the wall of my 40 gallon sump (which is a few inches shorter than the 29), where it hangs down a few inches further to flow into a high flow area of the sump. And this can cause a siphon that can drain KW from the ATO even when the pump is not on? Aliens aside, this seems like a plausible explanation.

But how do I prevent further siphoning?

How about if I attach the outflow of the pump line to a return hose that is higher than the wall of the ATO and have it drip into the sump from there? That would work, right?

Thanks,

If it hangs in the air there can be no siphon.

+1 You need to adjust the tubing so it is not below the water line. I keep my tubing about three inches above the water so it does not create a siphon. It is loud when the pump kicks on, but it is better than having that happen again to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys. I turned the T Osmolater off and am topping off with freshly mixed SW to get the salinity up to 35 again. Dang aliens! I wonder if Baron Davis put them up to this.

Thanks Vinny and Tallball.

I have a TO on my 75 that does not have the tubing dipping below the water line (and has never been possessed by aliens) so it sounds like you're on the money, Tallball. I'll prune the tubing on my 180 so that does not dip below the water line of the ATO or sump.

Thanks!

Back