Strange things happening in the middle of the night?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7516328#post7516328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cantfindnemo
It is about 3inchs. Are you saying the trigger is the one splashing or playing hide and seek with the zoo's?

Possibly both.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7516613#post7516613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Is it possible that an Octopus snuck in on some rock?

How small can octopus's get?

Octopuses can go for a midnight stroll...well, not quite, but if you have a neighboring tank, they can go there. And an octopus can compress to a fraction of its puffed size, and go anywhere its beak can fit.

Is it possable for me to mistake a octopus for a brittle star. I discovered what I thought to be a brittle star about the size of my hand underneath one of my rocks but it moved pretty quickly underneathe another rock before I got a good look at it. At glance it had arms 5 or 6 and was white with black stripes.......but white was the real dominate color.

also I am pretty sure it was flat.

That is def. possible. Octos can range in size from a dime to hundreds of pounds. Just keep looking in at night. If you get a red lens flashlight you have a better chance of not spooking him. Look in all the cracks & Crevices late at night you might catch a glimpse of him. Oh, and they also can change color/pattern to match their surroundings so the next time you see it (if you see it) it may look totally different.

not trying to say its not an octopus but maybe its a brittle or serpent starfish.

i hope you find out for sure whats going on.

heres something for you to think about. how i mentioned starfish heres a qoute of something a guy has in his tank he posted in this forum.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7517646#post7517646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Safir
these brittle stars get about 2" diameter max - don't think they will eat any fish - mostly they hang out in the rocks with their legs sticking out, i think they eat detritus and the such, but have never actually seen them eat anything, thye don't even come out when i feed the rest of the tank and everythign else comes out to feed on anythign that gets missed.

they are white with black bands on their legs

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7517697#post7517697 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonboy279
heres something for you to think about. how i mentioned starfish heres a qoute of something a guy has in his tank he posted in this forum.

Yeah I have the little legs that come out of the rock and here is a picture of it. But this is different from what I saw underneath a rock tho. I still don't no what these things are people have told me here that they are bristle worms and others have told me that they are brittle stars. In either case I don't see these things splashing water out of my tank or moving zoo's what does everyone else think?

DSCN1669.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7520826#post7520826 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cantfindnemo
Yeah I have the little legs that come out of the rock and here is a picture of it. But this is different from what I saw underneath a rock tho. I still don't no what these things are people have told me here that they are bristle worms and others have told me that they are brittle stars. In either case I don't see these things splashing water out of my tank or moving zoo's what does everyone else think?

DSCN1669.jpg
Those legs look exactly like my serpent star. To date tho, it has never rearranged any rock but I glue most everything down.
On the other hand, my serpent does come out to eat! :bigeyes:

I have thoes arms all over my tank, so does that mean I am infested with brittle stars. I mean I have at least 10 in all different places.

Yes, those are mini brittles, but I wouldn't say you are infested. They are a VERY good inhabitant as they break down and consume excess food.

I have literally thousands of them - ya can't shake a rock without a pile of them falling off.

They definitely have NOTHING to do with the splashing in your tank.

Crystal

Are you sure that it is salt water that is splashing, or is it just wet? You may just be getting evaporation at night which is collecting on your hood or lights, and then running down the back of the tank.

If it doesn't leave salt behind when it dries, then it is water from evaporation.

just an off the wall guess, but do you have a spider decorator crab that hitchhiked a ride on a piece of rock? mine would do nothing but rearrange the tank at night, that is until i caught him and banished him to the fuge in my sump. he can tear up all the macro algae down there that he wants, but no more missing kenya tree corals for me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7522054#post7522054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by theop
Are you sure that it is salt water that is splashing, or is it just wet? You may just be getting evaporation at night which is collecting on your hood or lights, and then running down the back of the tank.

If it doesn't leave salt behind when it dries, then it is water from evaporation.

Well I have a bow front and my corllife CP does not even touch the front of the glass where it goes down and I have streeks of water flowing down the front. Plus it never happens during the day allways at night in different places.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7522116#post7522116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slowECUdiver
just an off the wall guess, but do you have a spider decorator crab that hitchhiked a ride on a piece of rock? mine would do nothing but rearrange the tank at night, that is until i caught him and banished him to the fuge in my sump. he can tear up all the macro algae down there that he wants, but no more missing kenya tree corals for me.

Well I have this guy below but have not seen the full body yet he just comes out of his hole to the very edge late at night but he has never come out as far as I no. Do you think it's a spider crab?

49cd918a.jpg

Don't think it's a spider crab. I used to have one of these in one of my tanks. Everyday I would go to look at the tank and find some of my rock literally pulverized! I thought some chemical in my water was breaking down my rocks. Then one day I was picking up a piece to inspect it, a crab almost identical(keep in mind it is really hard to tell many species of crabs apart) to that one...and it was turning rocks into dust! To the sump he went. I thought it was cool that he could do that, so I bought him his own tank so I could observe him. He literally excavated a cave in one of the larger pieces of rock and then barricaded himself in by making a door. I came home one day and couldn't find him. The door was on TIGHT! Could be the culprit moving your rocks. Water splashing could be any fish flicking the surface.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7527251#post7527251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by canigetin
Don't think it's a spider crab. I used to have one of these in one of my tanks. Everyday I would go to look at the tank and find some of my rock literally pulverized! I thought some chemical in my water was breaking down my rocks. Then one day I was picking up a piece to inspect it, a crab almost identical(keep in mind it is really hard to tell many species of crabs apart) to that one...and it was turning rocks into dust! To the sump he went. I thought it was cool that he could do that, so I bought him his own tank so I could observe him. He literally excavated a cave in one of the larger pieces of rock and then barricaded himself in by making a door. I came home one day and couldn't find him. The door was on TIGHT! Could be the culprit moving your rocks. Water splashing could be any fish flicking the surface.

The crab that you had in your tank was it the same size as the one in my picture or was it bigger?

Back