Stray voltage question

rwp1202

Old School Reef Keeper
So today I got a little zing from the DT while I was doing a water change. :spin2: I got out my multimeter and found that I had about 27 volts of stray current. Through the process of elimination I pulled out a heater that was leaking and I am down to about 13 volts.

Here's the question, what level of stray current is acceptable? When I unplug one item at a time, I notice that the voltage drops about 1-1.5 volts and returns when I plug it back in. Is there an acceptable threshold, or do I need to systematically replace every pump, powerhead, heater, etc until I have it close to zero?

FWIW, the frag system is down to 6 volts after pulling out a simillarly aged heater. (Don't need them this time of year anyway)

Hi,

Stray voltage should be zero. You can add a titanium ground plug that plugs into a grounded AC 110v socket and you put the other end(titanium end) in your tank or sump. That's what I use on mine, works great.

Dave

Stray Voltage?

Stray Voltage?

I also was getting zapped once in awhile . replaced heaters in display and refugium and added grounds to both tanks . No problems so far!!!:thumbsup:

Have these been proven to actually work? I remember reading multiple places that there was no conclusive evidence on their effectiveness.

Hi,

Stray voltage should be zero. You can add a titanium ground plug that plugs into a grounded AC 110v socket and you put the other end(titanium end) in your tank or sump. That's what I use on mine, works great.

Dave

If I get the gounding plug, what will happen if something really starts leaking current? Will I know it, or do I just need to make current checking part of my normal routine? (you would think I would know this already with 10 years in the hobby, but I guess I've been lucky.)

Have these been proven to actually work? I remember reading multiple places that there was no conclusive evidence on their effectiveness.

Good question. Does the grounding plug really solve anything. or does it just give the electricty somewhere to go besides my fingers?

Good question. Does the grounding plug really solve anything. or does it just give the electricty somewhere to go besides my fingers?

from what I've read it was hit and miss. I've read threads on here, along with other forums, and books. I've never found anything truly conclusive and some have even said that having a ground probe gives the electricity somewhere to go so it could potential be more harmful for tank mates.

I have done some reading on this same issue as I had stray current in my tank I found out that was coming from a bad submersable return pump. Using a grounding probe is like putting a bandaid on a broken leg, it helps but does it really fix this issue... no it just masks it. If something is really leaking stray current you typically wont know it due to a grounding probe. Anything in our tank that uses electrcity gives off a slight stray electrical current but definetly not 27 volts and often they are heaters that are the trouble makers. I unplugged everything one by one and tested the water. I documented everything as I plugged it in until I saw something shoot way up, pretty much process of elimination.

Hi wrp1202,

Devices that you put underwater can leak a small amount of AC voltage. I have not done extensive testing but the voltages could add up from several devices. One way to remove this would be to install the grounding probe(yes they do work). Another way to look at this is to monitor every submerged item every day for stray voltage and replace if you find any. If your system is on a GFI it will kick out of there is a serious problem. I don't think the stray voltage is good for the tank inhabitants that why I removed the voltage from my tank. :rollface:

Dave

I've taken part in a few conversations here about grounding probes as well...

Stray voltage in your tank is just that, stray voltage. When a grounding probe is added then yes, the voltage will drop to zero, but now you are creating electrical current that was not there before.

I have not yet read any comments from a marine biologist on whether stray voltages or currents are more harmful to the biological processes of the inhabitants in a reef tank, but for humans, it is the current that is dangerous- not the voltage.

My research consistently showed the probe and gfci is for your protection. But I couldn't keep snails for more than a few days before the probe. I tried everything when acclimating and for over a year they all died. I would acclimate in sump so I put the probe in there and no problems since. I was at 27v .
U also read grounding probe without gdci is worse! You complete the circuit .

I used to have stray voltage in my tank. After reading I discovered that it was bad for fish and corals. Some say that it may cause lateral line decease in fish and stress in corals.

I also read that the grounding probe was not the solution because you still have the voltage in your tank.

Then I purchased a GFCI and tested each equipment one by one. When the main pump was connected the GFCI shot down. I replaced the pump and no more voltage in the tank.

Now I see my fish more active and swimming all over the tank not hiding like before.

I have know idea. I put it in sump because that's where most offenders are heaters, return, skimmer, etc. Plus I'd I create a current i dudnc't want fish in the way. the gfci will trip before my cardiac cycle if ic'm in the way. funny, i do this daily to test peoples defibrillators. you would be surprised how little juice at yhe perfect time can be lethal. I really should know more about safety with all the electrical and water we work with. You wouldn't stick your hand in a bath tub with a hair dryer would you.

People please be careful electricity is deadly at vary small currents; if your getting shocked you where vary close to being killed. I've taken many safety classes on electricity. And the number 1 reason for people dyeing from electrocution is a lack of a ground or a faulty ground. The grounding plug dose not mask the problem .it gives the stray voltage somewhere to go. Gfcis will trip vary quickly but it will cause a lot of nuisance trips I would buy a small extension cord with a gfci built in it and systematically plug all your equipment into it 1 at a time to locate the faulty device. But in the mean time that grounding plug may save your life! Dose it harm the fish? I don’t know. Can it kill you? Maybe you decide what’s more important. Be happy reef safe.. And happy 4th now go blow off your fingers with fireworks lol

Back