Strontium

IBroughtPopcorn

How important is strontium to test/supplement? While we're at it, what do you test outside of the big three and Nitrate? The reason I ask is because I fell in love with Nooks clam that he had, but I messed up and asked the wife for permission instead of forgiveness. Of course she said no because the swap was the day before. Well she fell in love with one from the corner reef and guess who has a Maxima Clam now. Problem is it's super small (<2"). I have read and been told they are hard to keep when they are little.

My tank is too big to do frequent water changes unless I find a great deal on salt. So far I have had zero issues with anything else in the tank. Two nights ago the little fella has a small part of the shell is not being covered by the mantle. It hasn't improved or worsened in two days. The clam is on the sand bed. I did notice it is leaning more today than it was a week ago when it was "burped" and placed in the sand. Tank is 30" tall and the 3 x 250 MH + 4 T5 lights are 8" above the water.

Parameters as of 2:30 am this morning (I work late)
Ph 7.97 (apex calibrated a few weeks ago) light are on at this reading.

DKH 8.62 (Hanna)
Cal 450 (Salifert)
Mag 1305 (Salifert)
Po4 .01 (Hanna)
No3 < 1 (Nyos)
Temp 78.2-78.6
Salinity is 1.026

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High light for Maxima clams!!

I've never purposefully dosed strontium. I think they appreciate phytoplankton when very small.

High light for Maxima clams!!

I've never purposefully dosed strontium. I think they appreciate phytoplankton when very small.

Dang it. I will move it tonight. I read that the little clams need lower light then move up. I trust you so I will move it up the ladder tonight. Hopefully that's what it is.

Yeah, the phytoplankton bit is just conjecture from my recollection. The best thing is a steady ledge under high light, adequate flow, and some nitrate/phosphate in your water column. NSW levels of calcium and alkalinity are necessary for the clam to grow. Fwiw, buying clams less than the 3" mark is typically a waste of money as they usually don't make it. There are exceptions, but usually it dies.

Fwiw, buying clams less than the 3" mark is typically a waste of money as they usually don't make it. There are exceptions, but usually it dies.

Well... dang! I hope this one is an exception. I was nervous when I read that on the internet. Now seeing you say it make me want to call my wife and brace her for the inevitable.

I add phyto and zooplankton before work each day. I have a large (8 inch'ish) and a smaller (4 inch'ish) clam. A nice 5 mL spike each (zoo,phyto). My skimmer cleans it up by the time I get home at night, but all my filter feeders are happy and thriving. I got the smaller clam at around 3 inches. Its really grown fast; an inch in size in just a few months. I can't point to any factor that might support the clams growth is due in any way to my daily additions however; as a hobbyist who sees his tank on a daily basis I feel on the days I don't dose there is a visible difference of life (acting natural) and "excitement" (less activity) on average. Just my 2cents

great thread
Tom

Thanks Tom. Do you have your little clam high in the tank. I moved mine up last night to about the middle. I can't get it to stay standing. Is that an issue?

Thanks Tom. Do you have your little clam high in the tank. I moved mine up last night to about the middle. I can't get it to stay standing. Is that an issue?

I have my little clam about halfway to the top of the tank with led lights running at 45-50% brightness max. Leds are 6-8ish inches above water.
The little one fell over a lot to start. I put it between two small rocks like bookends with a rock under it. After three days it had attached. I have seen folks glue them down also but have never tried myself.
The large clam sits on the sand and is nice and plump.

Just beware of buying clams period. Far to much information to include in this comment but inspection of the foot/base of any clam you purchase is a must. Not trying at all to put anyone off from getting a clam, like anything in this hobby knowing a bit about what your buying plays a huge role in the success you will have. Inspect the base and dont be mesmerized by the mantles beutiful colors. Learn first, buy later...

I have my little clam about halfway to the top of the tank with led lights running at 45-50% brightness max. Leds are 6-8ish inches above water.
The little one fell over a lot to start. I put it between two small rocks like bookends with a rock under it. After three days it had attached. I have seen folks glue them down also but have never tried myself.
The large clam sits on the sand and is nice and plump.

Thanks again. I will install the bookends now before work. I need to get a par meter so I can know what I have. Actually I think Kegogut has a similar fixture and bulb combo. I will check with him.

Just beware of buying clams period. Far to much information to include in this comment but inspection of the foot/base of any clam you purchase is a must. Not trying at all to put anyone off from getting a clam, like anything in this hobby knowing a bit about what your buying plays a huge role in the success you will have. Inspect the base and dont be mesmerized by the mantles beutiful colors. Learn first, buy later...

Solid advice. Thank you. I will look into what the foot should look like. The reading I have done is probably not enough.

18be1ea385617328db5b404fc25a9b0c.jpg
cc2e95ff9dd33a4058e35fdf96a50497.jpg
anything obvious to you guys? I read it could be pinched mantle. They suggest no GFO and put in some carbon. Do you agree?

This is a nice discussion but what does it have to do with strontium. Maybe I missed it?

Back