stupid kid fed all my food!

Jay21

So the kid comes out of my studio with wet feet, food all over the floor.
I noticed he put 2 huge cans into my 50 gallon tank (filterless) no filters other then the back area with sponges and stuff.

I shoped vacked it out and its not to cloudy .

Only a clown and a shrimp as I was going to do a rebuild.

So, im cooked and tired and no time to get salt to do a complete tare down.
"Most" of the sinking pellets are gone but yeah its filled with rock and flowers.

What happens now? :wildone: :facepalm:

I might get a chance to get salt and do a total tear down rebuild tomorrow.

What happens next do the nitrates to to 7000PPM?
Can I test with a PPM meter?
Assuming the pellets will fall apart tonight.

High nitrate. Move clown and shrimp to qt. I'd advise total water change and then just let it process. If you can, you might, before water change, stir it up deliberately and run a filter sock before the water change.
Then just let it sit and cycle.

If the ammonia stays at zero, the fish and shrimp should be okay. I agree with doing a number of water changes, although I'd limit the volume to 20% or so each, to reduce any possible issue with shock or problems due to exposing live rock to air. Siphoning out any debris or leftover food should help, too.

What about a total tear down dang that's a 5 hour job and Im working all day tomorrow/next/next.

I have a 50 gallon (or so) ice chest I can put the corals into.

Looks like all the garlic sinking pellets have sunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be letting that kid back in my house unless he is watched the entire time. Some of the stuff we have for water testing could have really hurt him if he got ahold of it. Good luck on the tank.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

stuff happens..
You got at it quick..
Its probably not a huge issue.. certainly not a tear the tank down thing..

Just monitor levels (nitrate+ammonia) and perform water changes as needed..

You're absolutely right mcgyvr, stuff does happen. In fact, I had the same thing happen to me years ago in a fw tank. My daughter fed my fish a whole can of fold, and it looked like a blizzard in there. I had a few hours of work to do. Point is, it was my fault for not watching her. She was just being a kid, not "stupid"

You're absolutely right mcgyvr, stuff does happen. In fact, I had the same thing happen to me years ago in a fw tank. My daughter fed my fish a whole can of fold, and it looked like a blizzard in there. I had a few hours of work to do. Point is, it was my fault for not watching her. She was just being a kid, not "stupid"

You can ease up on the white knighting. Everyone is allowed to vent when bad things happen.

I have a soon to be 2 year old and am building a 75 gallon tank and stand. The plan is to make a magnetic lock on the door so you have to have a magnet key to open the door. No hardware will be visible from the front and I will keep the key on top of the canopy well out of children's reach. Other chemicals will be put in a similar cabinet that I plan on making at a later date. Simple steps can be taken to prevent problems.

Did you talk with him and explain to him why this was a bad thing to do? Look at the positives here, this could be a great learning experience for the two of you.

This happens a lot to people who keep big fish. At one of my other forums (Monster Fish Keepers -- FW based) a guy had an Asian Arowana he paid nearly 8,000 for -- His friends 6 year old thought it would be fun to feed it gummy bears. Fish didn't make it, friend thought the fish wouldn't cost nearly that much, etc etc. Spiraled out of control.

I have a soon to be 2 year old and am building a 75 gallon tank and stand. The plan is to make a magnetic lock on the door so you have to have a magnet key to open the door. No hardware will be visible from the front and I will keep the key on top of the canopy well out of children's reach. Other chemicals will be put in a similar cabinet that I plan on making at a later date. Simple steps can be taken to prevent problems.

You're right, and that's awesome sounding! But the kid isn't his. I wouldn't be doing anything like that without having any kids around.

How long can I expost live rock in air?
My idea was pull rock out and place right into a 5 gallon bucket.

Then clean the tank and then use the rock and water to rebuild?

Some sponges will die on contact with air. If there's enough volume, that can be a problem. Generally, when I moved tanks, I got only minimal "cycling" effects, though. Keeping the live rock in water with aeration should help. A tub with a pump, and even a heater, might be optimal, depending on how long the process is going to take. If it's only going to be an hour or so, I wouldn't bother with setting up a pump and a heater. I would have Amquel or Prime on hand, as well as water for changes, though.

you can't keep eyes on them all the time my daughter dumped a huge can Into my nano in a matter of seconds. yes I was upset but really all she wanted to do was help. I quickly qt'd my Mandarin and Niger trigger. omg what a pain In the a** it was to vacuum all the sinking pellets. I got the majority but the next day they formed up this weird blob that looked alive! was crazy wish I took a pic. that was about two months ago livestock is back after plenty water changes. even crazier is that whole accident suddenly made my limpets mass produce. I have about 50 of the babies on the glass now. Kids not stupid btw. leaving food near tank while children are present is stupid xD

Back