Sucker buy? Name-brand return pumps...

brett559

I get that the gear is part of the fun of this hobby. And I agree that there is a big difference in quality of some components. Cheap lights aren't worth it. A cheap heater could nuke your tank. If you want no cords in the tank, you gotta pony up for a VorTech.

But I do NOT get the high-end name-brand return pump? This thing does one thing and one thing only. Why invest in a Vectra pump? Does it pump water back up to the DT in a better way?

I am still using my stock, no-name return pump that came with my CAD Lights tank. I have no idea what brand it is. It's green and black. And it has never once failed. Turns right back on every time I turn it off for water change. Contrast that with my name-brand Sicce pump which runs my chiller. It's a piece. Every time I turn it off to do a water change, I have to take it apart, pull out the impeller, put it all back together, and THEN it will start up again.

Fancy Italian pump = garbage
Cheap no-name pump = rock solid

Why not spend the money on better lights, or an MP10 or a better skimmer? I guess you could argue that if you are pinching every penny, this is the wrong hobby.

Am I wrong about this?

I use relatively small Sicce pumps, 500 gph or less. One is my return, one supplies my skimmer, and a third is a utility pump that runs my reactor when I use it, and does about anything else I need done. They aren't particularly fancy or expensive. I've used several other brands of submersible pumps. Some are better, some some are cheaper, some put out a lot of heat, some are quiet, some are noisy. I'll agree that price didn't always ensure quality but all seemed to require about the same maintenance. They all seemed to need a soak in light bleach water then in vinegar for a while about every three months.

Well, I run an Ecotech return pump because it hooks up to the same Ecotech back-up battery that runs my two MP40s. Simpler that way. :D

Kevin

Sucker buy? Name-brand return pumps...

No, you're not wrong. I'm running a jabao dcp18000 up 22 feet of head pressure and getting 900gph. Sure- half it's rated stats, but it was 1/3rd the price of the "˜big guys pumps', is DC so it uses like 90 watts, and I can't hear it from 2 feet away.

People kept commenting on my threads that I'm just delaying an inevitable failure and "˜why spend twice'? I tempered that with the 3 threads I read in 8 months detailing issues with Abyzz and other high quality pumps.

I'm happy with my choice and I'll be happy to buy another one IF this one fails any time soon

I spent the money I saved on an ATO, a doser pump, containers, a new fuge light and some kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I added my new sump (after 3 years) that was the first time I ever even took apart the return pump. It was kinda dirty, but zero maintenance in 3 years.

Well, I run an Ecotech return pump because it hooks up to the same Ecotech back-up battery that runs my two MP40s. Simpler that way. :D

Kevin

Makes sense. You're also probably a little OCD (like I am) and you like how they all match. I totally get that.

if you are a sucker for getting a Vectra, then what I am I? I have an Abyzz A200. Nothing wrong with getting a name brand pump what has great support.

Last edited:
The Vectra seems cool if you have a reef link but I have had the same magdrive pump for a decade and it still runs great.

if you are a sucker for getting a Vectra, then what I am I? I have an Abyzz A200. Nothing wrong with getting a name brand pump what has great support.

My mamma always said if you dont have anything nice to say.....well...you know. :p

I recently bought a Reef Octo Varios6 and love it. Previous had a danner mag that came used with the tank and quit on me. I replaced with the Varios6 because I like RO brand equipment personally and I loved the DC has variable speeds feed modes float switch to shut off for protection of the pump etc. That and it is quite affordable and was in my price range to do what I wanted. Its no Abyzz but works for me. I wouldnt consider anyone a “sucker” for ordering a high end or name brand anything. If its in their price range has the perks they want or whatever more power to them. I dont have a aquarium controller like a apex or anything so making this and now my new Gyre xf250s controllable is a big plus for me personally. I read a old post as I was looking for options and someone had a nice formula for what he buys according to how long it should last for it to be a good investment in his/her opinion. Theyre formula wouldnt work for everyone but if you upgrade or change equipment whatever you can create your own basically to weight the “worth” in your own eyes. Everyone’s opinion can/is/and often will be different. Only thing we can do is gather information about said products and make the best decision based in our personal price range. The beauty of this hobby is it can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to a certain degree...

Some of the more expensive pumps are dc, run cooler, use less electricity and are quieter. That being said I still use danner mag drive for my return on my reef and a cobalt mj1200 for the return on my biocube.

I have two Eheim pumps with well over ten years of use on them and they still run like new. If you consider a German pump high end then yes they are well worth the money.

Some of the more expensive pumps are dc, run cooler, use less electricity and are quieter. That being said I still use danner mag drive for my return on my reef and a cobalt mj1200 for the return on my biocube.

The Jebao dcp 18000 I use is 36 v DC, uses 89 watts at the current setting, is quieter than the water dropping 2" over my refugium baffle and hasn't made any appreciable contribution to water temperature (but that's because the heat is in the power supply brick, not the pump itself). And it cost 1/3rd of an abyzz .

Most of the newer pumps have those attributes, since, well, it's not hard to make them that way now. Back when it was difficult to engineer all those features into a pump, it may have been worth a premium, but not any more. Just like any other luxury item, technology gets better, manufacturing gets easier and prices drop. Look at 4K TVs just 18 months ago, and compare to the cost now.

No, you're not wrong. I'm running a jabao dcp18000 up 22 feet of head pressure and getting 900gph. Sure- half it's rated stats, but it was 1/3rd the price of the "˜big guys pumps', is DC so it uses like 90 watts, and I can't hear it from 2 feet away.

People kept commenting on my threads that I'm just delaying an inevitable failure and "˜why spend twice'? I tempered that with the 3 threads I read in 8 months detailing issues with Abyzz and other high quality pumps.

I'm happy with my choice and I'll be happy to buy another one IF this one fails any time soon

I spent the money I saved on an ATO, a doser pump, containers, a new fuge light and some kits.

This^^^^ I've been using Jeabo pumps for years and never once have they given me an issue I currently have 2x dcp 10000 , 2x 15000 and a 2500. They run cool and are reliable. I also still use the older models to mix and move water around.

Been running a I don’t know how old Jeabo that I picked up used been happy with it. I have stuck with mag drives for all these years but it’s a solid pump will most likely buy another.

I've been running a taam rio for a return on my 125g for 8.5 yrs. Only clean it once a year. No issues to date.

I almost bought a Vectra and I'm glad I didn't. I went with a Jebao DC pump. I added a second one for my skimmer. I have found them to be reliable with no issues for nearly 2 years. Knock on wood.

Back