Sucker buy? Name-brand return pumps...

I have 2 return pumps one is a backup. I have a expensive name brand pump and a much cheaper Jebao about the same rating.

My more expensive pump had an issue. I got a Jebao overnighted while I got a fix. I never went back to my "better" pump after it was fixed saw no reason they preformed the same.

My only regret is not just getting 2 Jebaos. I had always planned to get a cheaper backup.

I have two Eheim pumps with well over ten years of use on them and they still run like new. If you consider a German pump high end then yes they are well worth the money.

Yup, all the equipment I have like pumps, powerheads, heaters made in Germany are still working today, 25 years later, some need
Impellers once in a while, the heaters I change at 24 months for safety, otherwise still going strong.

Sometimes a name has meaning like BMW and Mercedes, sometimes just a name.

The Vectra seems cool if you have a reef link but I have had the same magdrive pump for a decade and it still runs great.

Same here. Been running a Mag 9 as my return since 2006. Requires little cleaning/maintenance, never failed, always starts back up.

Just replaced my 12 year old dart with a vector a today. The dart quit and the vectra was in stock at the lfs.
Skimmer has a needle wheel shim fir 12 years. No problems.

Germany made Eheim pump has been made rock solid & lasts a long time. VERY reliable and affordable.

Just depends on personal preference really. Some like names, some like price, some want something that fits in their ecosystem of control. It doesn't really matter and doesn't make one a sucker if they choose different than you.

I have used several brands and current running a pair of Neptune Cor 15's. Why? Fits my ecosystem with regards to my controller of choice, built like a truck, and DC. I also have Jebao DCT 15000 that was my primary return but now a backup in case of emergency. There are build differences that are visual between those two. Even between a mag1200 I have and the Jebao. Doesn't mean the Jebao didn't move a lot of water - just means you get what you pay for with regards to the price points. Both Cor and Mag there is a significant quality difference.

Just how I see it. Whatever works for you, pocket book, and tank is all that matters.

I'd view the main return pump as the heart of my system. I want something that is reliable, long-lasting and a reasonable trade off between purchase and operating costs. I do not require variable flow, but I do need something that will handle 14' of head pressure without being reduced to a trickle. That means, for me, either PanWorld or Iwaki. At the 1,500 gph, that means spending Vectra money. I'm simply not going to trust my system to something like a Jebao, so I don't really agree with the OP.

Back