suggested treatment for killing mojanos??

jlinzmaier

Premium Member
Had a few mojanos for nearly a year and they never moved or split or caused any problems. When I first noticed them and realized what they were I tried killing them with kalk paste but it only stressed them enough to make them split. After that I just left them alone and they didn't cause any further problems.

Today I noticed that one has split into three overnight and over the last two months I've seen a few more here and there.

I want to get on top of this before they get out of hand. Any suggestions??

Jeremy

Lemon juice works well too. You could start with the Joe's Juice, because it comes with an applacator (plastic syringe) and if after that if more come try the lemon juice. I have had luck with both.

Don't kill them -- just cover them with a shell or something (live rock rubble, etc) so that they are shaded.

They will climb out on top of the piece of shell or LR to get more light, and then you can just take it out of the tank entirely.

That way you don't have to worry about whether or not you were able to kill it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14773531#post14773531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bubbly
Don't kill them -- just cover them with a shell or something (live rock rubble, etc) so that they are shaded.

They will climb out on top of the piece of shell or LR to get more light, and then you can just take it out of the tank entirely.

Very clever!!! I'll give it a try. Sounds like a logical idea. If it doesn't work Joe's Juice is coming at em!

Thanks.

Jeremy

Get yourself about 3-4 large pep shrimp. Yes, I know they are mostly known for eating Aiptasia, but they will gobble up anything that is even close to an anenome. Mine a head of frogspawn and a small rose anenome. They will also ensure that no left over food decays, and they will recycle your fish poo. I think every system should have a few.

JJ

I've heard of people having trouble with peps eating SPS polyps. I've had some in the past and didn't have any trouble and may very well give them a try if all else fails.

Thanks everyone!!

Jeremy

If they get out of hand, it can be an absolute hard coral killing nightmare. I had literally thousands of them in my 280. they were everywhere, even on the glass. Removing all the rock was not an option. I ended up taking out all the corals except for the softies and added a Raccoon Butterfly. He munched every last one of them in about 3 months. He never touched any of my shrooms either. I trained him to eat mysis from the net so I could catch him easily. Then, back to the LFS he went, nice and fat.

Covering them up with a shell or a rock sounds like a great idea, as long as you just have a few.

good luck! keep us posted.

:thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14773531#post14773531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bubbly

Actually I had a whole tank full and this was the only way that I could get rid of them, Joe's juice never worked!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14777447#post14777447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeferguy9
If you have a small amount of them, kalk paste works really well for me.

Kalk paste didn't work for me. Just irritated them enough to make them split and move. I made it super thick and injected it right into them with a large needle.

Jeremy

I recently injected some with vinegar, then an hour later hit them with kalk paste, and then was fairly unsatisfied so I pulled the entire rock out and hit them with a blow torch.

I think I killed them...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14777859#post14777859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrPike
I recently injected some with vinegar, then an hour later hit them with kalk paste, and then was fairly unsatisfied so I pulled the entire rock out and hit them with a blow torch.

I think I killed them...

Yep. I bet that worked!!!

Jeremy

Just wanted to post an update.

I tried the rock rubble over the mojanos and it worked perfectly!! Thanks Bubbly for the suggestion!!!

I simply placed sevel small pieces of rock right over the top of them and in a day or two they crawled out on top of the small rock pieces and were easily removed and disposed of. In fact it worked so well that I actually left a few mojanos in the tank. IMO they are nice looking little creatures and if they are in a spot where they aren't cuasing harm I'm glad to have them there. I was originally worried their populations might get out of hand very quickly, but after seeing how well the rock rubble worked I have no worries that I'll be able to keep them under control with very little effort.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Jeremy

Do you think this would work for Aiptasia?

doubt it, those little boogers will live without light for a long time if they are getting a lot of food. If you have a prob with aipts, go ahead and try it but I don't think they go looking for light as much as the majanos

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838290#post14838290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bhdmc
Do you think this would work for Aiptasia?

Unfortunately not -- it would be wonderful if it did, but like natreinhold1 said, aiptaisia are fine with much less light, and when they do move they just let go and start floating, so they will be liable to end up anywhere, usually in a place where you won't see them until they have reproduced a few times...

Back