Suggestions for removing Green Algae?

edmund36

Premium Member
I have a great deal of green algae growing in my 120 gallon reef tank. I do use RODI water. I put in some Weiss Algae Magic about 2 weeks ago. I continue to have a significant amount of ongoing growth. Attempting to remove the algae from the live rock is difficult. It appears to cling to the rock very well. Does anyone have suggestions short of removing the Live Rock and scrubbing it off?

Ed

DO you have a clean up crew? How about a lawnmower blenny or a tang? If not these are a couple of effective things you could do. How old is your tank? There is some source of excess nutrients that is causing the algee to grow. You ultimately need to figure out the source to take care of the problem.

I don't know differences of green algae species, so i'm assuming it is. It is thready looking or fuzzy in appearance.

Ed

I have snails, hermit crabs (most died), brittle star; I do have a Chocolate Tang, 2 lawnmower blennies. No one likes this algae.

Ed

Did you test for phosphate? Even if it doesn't show on your test, almost guarantee that you have it. Get a phosphate reactor. It solves alot of algae issues. Just my experience.

Does the tank have any corals in it? If not you could always leave the lights off for a few days. I would definately say you have a phosphate problem as well, get that settled and you will be in the clear. Lettuce nudibranch may be helpful. Good luck

Sounds like a phosphate problem to me also. Just don't feed your fish for a few days. They will eat it....or you could just borrow my ever hungry algea fish. :rollface:
Good luck!
:)

How about a sea hare or foxface? Need to know parameters to find out the source. Otherwise these are just bandaids to the problem.

Back