Suggestions/ tips for nano reefs?

Marco.Polo

I'm gonna make tank of 35*35*35cm and might add a little bit for back filter.

I wonder what do you suggest? Gonna put skimmer , light, fan, heater.

Any suggestions for reducing nitrate and phosphate? Or treating coral in that such small environment?

Waiting for your kind reply [emoji6]

If you've got the stuff to make your own tank, you could always make a 1 or 2 gallon hob refugium to put cheato in with a strong light overtop. That should keep your nitrates in check

Good luck!

If you go with the refugium idea, there's a pretty slick magnetic fuge light from IM which might bear some research.

You didn't mention any chemical filtration above. I run Chemi-pure Blue in my nano which seems to work well.

nitrate\phosphate solution......no fish\ no food\ no unnecessary N or P.

that small of a tank, evaporation adn stable params are going to be a much harder task to accomplish. an ATO would highly recommended.

i also am a big fan of region specific or species specific nanos.....ricordea gardens are a great choice as the availability of colors is huge and the coral's consumption of elements is minimal.......which means slightly less maintenance.

Also a shrimp tank....like sexy shrimp, are great for nanos of this volume.

good luck, have fun.

Thanks guys.
In that tank I'm gonna add maybe 3-4 fish maximum.
About algae scrubber and refugium I'm gonna consider that, if not, will frequent water changes with osmosis water will fix that? as the load is really low (4 fish only)

I'm setting up a 12 JBJ and putting in a Algea Turf Scrubber in the middle compartment, Also upgraded the stock pump to a MJ 1200 and took the stock pump and put it in the first compartment down low , drilled a hole in the panel for the outlet for a bit more water movement, Not gonna upgrade the lights, Just the stock 2x24 watt PC, 4 watts per gallon should be fine for softies and some LPS, Stocking with 1 Damsel and 2 Shrimp and snails or Hermits not sure which yet.

I seriously would not recommend 3-4 fish in a tank that size...i have 2 small fish in my parents 30 gallon and its plenty. On the other hand i have 2 clowns in my 10 and theyre happy as can be. But 3-4 is a lot!

Just be aware that everything will get along fine until your fish mature.

A 10G tank is pretty small, a pair of clowns would be the max I would put in one. My pair completely dominated my 25g tank to the point that I had to take them out. Once they matured the female went full on tank tyrant and ran off every other fish, including my 6 line wrasse.

People often mistake the peaceful nature of juvenile fish for how they will be when they mature. It is why people run off and buy a pile of firefish, juvi clowns, cardinals, etc thinking they will have cool "Schooling" fish in their tank. 6 months later they have 2 left.

Yea i understand what you mean xCry0x i might choose other fishes.
Can you guys tell me , from your experience, do i need a wavemaker pump?
There is JEBAO rw-4 that generate from 700-4000lph, should i get this one too?

I was thinking about 2 Clowns in my 12 JBJ but actual water volume is more like 7 GL, Do you think that is viable, They don't swim around very much. What do you think?

I was thinking about 2 Clowns in my 12 JBJ but actual water volume is more like 7 GL, Do you think that is viable, They don't swim around very much. What do you think?

Like i mentioned above, i have 2 juvies in a ten right now and they seem happy. I only change the water once every 2 weeks and i dont even have plants growing yet...View attachment 316228

I also recommend reducing the # of fish especially in a tank that size.

If you do go with a few fish be careful with the pseudochromis. They can be really aggressive and eat other livestock. They tend to defend their territory too and i don't know if they are reef safe. If you want to go that route i'd opt for a royal gramma instead which will give the same look and a little friendlier.

Clowns are so overplayed, why not a couple cool gobies or firefish instead? Many are better suited for small tanks and you can pair some of them with shrimp so they have a tank buddy.

I don't know if I would go with a RW-4. I know a lot of people have them but from personal experience i think its unnecessary. I've done just fine with a hydor koralia nano for a fraction of the price.

+1 on chemipure blue. Just started using it in place of carbon and purigen. One less thing to worry about.

You're right about the Clowns, I hate having them in my big tanks mostly because they tend to harass other Corals in the tank, They're great little fish but their are other options, I really like a High Fin Goby/ Pistol Shrimp Combo as well as Snails, Just thought about the Pistol Shrimp. Do they all have the capability of breaking the glass with they're claw which has happened to me a few once years ago. It was a 30 gl tank and you know when I cleaned up the mess I found a rather deadly Hitch Hiker. A Cone Snail. Things happen for a reason.

Last edited:
That's a good combo, and you could probably add another showcase invert (like a blood red fire shrimp or skunk cleaner) or fish to round it out.

For the paired shrimp look at the red banded or tiger pistol shrimp.
I also like the yellow watchman goby to pair.

About the pump, i'm asking if its necessary generaly as my return pump from my bio filter (back filter) would be up to 1200LPH.

About the Hydor its cool, but Jebao rw-4 its not that expensive and i can control the current.

What do you think?

Back