Suggestions / want list - Coming close to finishing!

j3rms

Hello all!

I am happy to say that I have finally finished my stand and cemented the plumbing for my tank. Now I need rocks, more sand, more salt, Skimmer, and light (LEDs). I am really excited to see how well my stand turned out, being that it was my first time building something from scratch.

For rocks I am thinking a majority of rocks being Pukani, and mixed a bit with other types of rocks. I ideally would like to have caves, and tunnels/ overpasses for the livestock. Are there any rocks out there that people favor more? If so, why?

Skimmer, I am thinking about either Reef Octopus Diablo 160 XS or a Bubble Magus Curve 5. Is there any other that would you guys recommend for better price and or same quality?

LED, I am thinking MaxSpect 27inch razor 16K or a Radion. I did some research and probably will not go with the Pro. Any guidance on the LEDs?

Lastly, my question is it necessary for me to buy controller? I think I may not need one at first, but may need one eventually. Or am I wrong and will need one sooner rather than later?

I'll most likely also need a RODI. Not sure, what else is needed? I am looking to keep fish and softies.

Any guidance to ensure I am going in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks everyone!

-Jeremy

Attachments

• image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image (3)1.jpeg
    image (3)1.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
If anyone has any of the items I need above FS or would like to donate please feel free to send me a PM! I would greatly appreciate it!

Did a great job on your stand. Well done! I saw a razor for sale a day or so ago as we'll as the BM curve 7 skimmer and RO/DI

I am getting 7-MaxSpect 160 W for my 500g+3X65g... I bought one to check it out on a 65g and I am extremely happy with it over 3 months period. I have no experience with other LEDs. My Previous experience was with MH.. no more for me only LED if corals continue to look good and grow

I am getting 7-MaxSpect 160 W for my 500g+3X65g... I bought one to check it out on a 65g and I am extremely happy with it over 3 months period. I have no experience with other LEDs. My Previous experience was with MH.. no more for me only LED if corals continue to look good and grow

I'm stoked to hear that.... I think I have my heart on the MaxSpect.... someone will have to be pretty convincing to change my mind.

I would suggest using Krylon spray paint on the back rather than using the sheets. They never seem to want to stay nice and flat, bend, etc. won't take you long to just tape it off and paint a couple coats. You'll be happier you did it.

I would suggest using Krylon spray paint on the back rather than using the sheets. They never seem to want to stay nice and flat, bend, etc. won't take you long to just tape it off and paint a couple coats. You'll be happier you did it.

You have a great point. I'll definitely look into it.

What is it

What is it

Someone gave me rocks on Sunday and I found this on it. Can someone tell me what the black balls are and what the yellow thing is?! I plan on cleaning it with vinegar but id like to learn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
The black balls are either zoas or pals, it's hard to say for sure what the yellow thing is until you put it in water and it opens up, but it looks like a mushroom. Do not put them in vinegar or you wll kill them. Brush the rock off with an old toothbrush to remove some of the algae and you will be fine.

Back