Summer power outage so get you generator ready

bullitr

broke but happy
After i remove all the rock of my QT so i can treat all the fish more appropriately all of a sudden the Power went out! it would Have been a catastrophy if I don't have a generator thanks GOD if not I would killed a lot of fish again.

So anyone who have a large tank should have generator standing by or atleast
A battery back up.

Hopefully in few years the inverter for our solar system can still produce power even if SCE is down and automatic switch off from the grid:wave:

Hey Lawrence, so I always had the impression that with a solar system if power is being produced it would be available even if grid power was not. Is it just a matter of adding some sort of battery storage or a switch that takes you off the grid in case of a grid outage?

This reminds me, I need to get a battery backup for the Vortech. I have to look into generators though, I never considered those before but it looks like a great idea just in case.

Ken
Only if you have a battery storage and automatic shuts off to the grid
I just found out that we will be without power until 5 tonight:(
And att have no coverage on the top of the hill.

This reminds me, I need to get a battery backup for the Vortech. I have to look into generators though, I never considered those before but it looks like a great idea just in case.

It just happened to me power was out for about 5hrs Luckly I was home but did go out to Costco and bought a battery back-up worked great the second time was at night both this month didn't worry about it since the pump was running. This is the first time in 4yrs in this house that it was down for that long.

would power heads alone suffice in a situation when power goes out for 5+ hours? i/e with a ups hooked up to powerheads only?

The placement of my MP40 is on top so when the siphon stops the pump picks up air plus all the wave movement is enough.

What about a voltage inverter from 12v car battery to 120 ac? If one got a 400W inverter which could supply enough juice for the return, circulation pumps and skimmer, maybe even a strip of royal blue leds. What do you think?

What about a voltage inverter from 12v car battery to 120 ac? If one got a 400W inverter which could supply enough juice for the return, circulation pumps and skimmer, maybe even a strip of royal blue leds. What do you think?

I've done it but only for a couple hours. Connected an extension cord to the inverter and ran 2 maxijets and fan cuz it was like 110 degrees in the shade.

I am using a Tripplite inverter an Optma battery. I have my Tunze plugged into it. If my power turns off, the inverter kicks on automatically. When power is restored, the inverter switches back to AC power and begins to recharge the battery.

Some of you may remember that I lost my entire tank last December. Its a horrible feeling to wake up and see your fish dead. I had spent so much money on my tank and live stock but failed to have a good back up. I learned the hard way and as result I put a good back-up system in my tank.

This photo was taken when I first got the inverter and was testing it. I now have it tucked nicely under my stand. I will try to post a new photo. I test the unit about once a month.

IMG00064-20101224-1758.jpg

That was happen to me last couple years , i thought it was a quick fix but it end up rainning and it took almost a day for the edison guys to get it up again . Anyway maybe bc i keeping my faith so high i didn't lose any livesock. I think i'm going to get a small generator just incase.

i dont recommend optima batteries cause once they go empty once they dead. how much that setup run you. i would like to do something like that

I am using a Tripplite inverter an Optma battery. I have my Tunze plugged into it. If my power turns off, the inverter kicks on automatically. When power is restored, the inverter switches back to AC power and begins to recharge the battery.

Some of you may remember that I lost my entire tank last December. Its a horrible feeling to wake up and see your fish dead. I had spent so much money on my tank and live stock but failed to have a good back up. I learned the hard way and as result I put a good back-up system in my tank.

This photo was taken when I first got the inverter and was testing it. I now have it tucked nicely under my stand. I will try to post a new photo. I test the unit about once a month.

IMG00064-20101224-1758.jpg

Back