Sump Build

Hey everyone,

It's time to replace my old sump. The old sump was a Frankenstein of two old sumps pieced together and it was no longer doing the job, so out with the old and in with the new.

The new sump will utilize 3 sock filters, a skimmer chamber and a return. Planning on 1/2" glass for the walls, sock holder and drain holder. 1/4" for the baffles. I'm also trying to get something that will be as quiet as possible. I'm not sure I can do anything about the sound of water coming into the sump, but I've limited the water drop into the socks to about 2".

The only other area with falling water will be into the return section of the sump. I've lowered the top of return side baffle a bit so the max water drop over it will be about 3". I'm afraid that if I go more than that I'll lose the effectiveness of the bubble trap. Does anyone have a feel for what the minimum height of the trap needs to be to effectively eliminate bubbles?

By my calculations, the return side can fluctuate about 2 gallons from max full to needing the ATO to fill it up. This doesn't seem like very much, but maybe this is normal. I'm planning on using a 20 gallon water storage tank that will fill automatically from my RODI using a ATO with latching system. Since my sump will need to fill 2 gallons at a time, I'm thinking of setting my storage tank to fill with about 4 gallons left. That way if the sump needs to fill immediately before the storage tank does, I will have enough in reserve.

I will use another ATO with latching system to automatically fill the sump. The high float will match the "constant" water level in the attached sketch and the low float will be about an inch above the water return inlet to keep it from sucking air.

Any recommendations on a water storage container in the 20-30 gallon range? ATO pump?

Any tweaks I should think about making to my sump? I'm anticipating about 800 GPH through the sump and it has about 30 gallons of freeboard to handle a power outage. I should only need about 14 gallons.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sump Sketch.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 41
Have you thought of a fleece roller instead of socks?
Brute makes small garbage cans in that range.
Many like the Tunze ATO but $$.
If you have a Litremeter, that's what I use & its never failed me.
A cover over as much of the sump as possible will help with noises.

Hmmm…the only thing I can help out with is the ATO. I personally use a Neptune ATO however I’ve heard great things about Tunze as well. I also use a brute for freshwater storage.

I would also consider, unrelated to the sump but related to water needs, having some RODI on hand for emergency water changes, etc. If it happens when there’s only 4 gallons left, that’s not a lot of water. Just my opinion

Back