Sump Capacity on a 150 gal

md14fish

Does anyone know the formula to calculate minimum sump capacity?
Would a standard 30 gallon tank be enough capacity in the event of a power stoppage for a 150 AGA tank with 2 megaflow kits?

toastman

It all depends on the baffles, and the amount of area that is left above your regular water level for the overflow in a power outage. I have seen 20longs under 125s, and thought wow...thats not good....I have a megaflow 4, Allglass sump (POS btw) its their largest sump under a 120, and think its a bit small, but its smaller than a 30 gallon.....I am sure it will be fine, but with sumps and other things in life, bigger is better

sjm817

On Yer left!
Premium Member
An AGA 150 has a 72x18 footprint. Every 1" of water is 5.6 gallons. As an example, if your display level drops 2" when you turn the return pump off, 11.2G of water will drain back to the sump. Add in what drains out of the return and drain pipes. You have to be sure there is enough reserve capacity in the sump to handle the drain back.

If you want to use a sump under the stand based on a standard aquarium, I'd use a 55G.

sjm817

On Yer left!
Premium Member
Yeah, 55s are high for sumps. The 33 or 40L would work well. use the 40 if you can bigger is better.