Sump design

phantomg23

I made this with a few shapes, there will be 2 corner overflows, how does it look? what would you change?

Screen_shot_2013_04_03_at_2_54_56_PM.png
[/url]
image hosting[/IMG]

Is the refugium suppose to be providing a natural source of filtration or just a space for pods to thrive? Not sure you would be getting the full filtering capabilities if the water is getting returned before it goes through the refugium. I'm still a noob, so I could just be failing to see the genius in your design.

Is the refugium suppose to be providing a natural source of filtration or just a space for pods to thrive? Not sure you would be getting the full filtering capabilities if the water is getting returned before it goes through the refugium. I'm still a noob, so I could just be failing to see the genius in your design.

The reason a lot of us like to put the refugium on the right, return in the middle and skimmer on the left is because of flow, if the refugium was right after the skimmer the flow through the refugium would be too fast.

I've abandoned my fuge, and really don't recommend feeding a fuge with unfiltered water, but... Usually in the "fuge on the right" design the right side is also fed by the water from the DT. In this design the plumbing from the DT to the sump is Tee'd off and there is a gate valve so you can limit how much of the water goes to the fuge side. The remaining water is routed to the skimmer side of the sump. Unless I'm missing something, in your design there is no flow to feed the fuge.

Better.. but you are prefiltering the water going to the skimmer but not the water going to the fuge. Are you building a fuge where detritus and other organics that enter from the DT are broken down by biological processes and critters? If not, you could end up with a nitrate factory or worse if you are not careful. I'd also add a bubble trap between the fuge and the return section and determine the skimmer and return section depth based on the recommended depth of the skimmer.

-

Better.. but you are prefiltering the water going to the skimmer but not the water going to the fuge. Are you building a fuge where detritus and other organics that enter from the DT are broken down by biological processes and critters? If not, you could end up with a nitrate factory or worse if you are not careful. I'd also add a bubble trap between the fuge and the return section and determine the skimmer and return section depth based on the recommended depth of the skimmer.

-

I will probably just bump up the skimmer on some egg crate to make it to the correct height, unless it needs more than 9. I would think that if i added a bubble trap and filter sock i would have a tiny fuge

Back