Sump help please

Beders

I'm currently in the process of building my sump the size is 36"x15"x15" I plan on skimer in first section refugium in 2nd & return in the third now I have put my skimmer in and that took 6" so I am left with 30" I plan on a ocean runner 6500 return pump when I get my hands on one now my question Is how much room does my refuigum need as I don't want to go to small on the return section because of avaparation I don't want to be topping up ever 5 minutes.

Thank you

Re: Sump help please

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14177956#post14177956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Beders
I'm currently in the process of building my sump the size is 36"x15"x15" I plan on skimer in first section refugium in 2nd & return in the third now I have put my skimmer in and that took 6" so I am left with 30" I plan on a ocean runner 6500 return pump when I get my hands on one now my question Is how much room does my refuigum need as I don't want to go to small on the return section because of avaparation I don't want to be topping up ever 5 minutes.

Thank you

The bigger the refugium the better. Make sure you have room to get your skimmer in and out. Also for the pump room if you going to put it inside the sump to get it in and out. Most important is when the power may go off there is room for the water that on how you have it set up amount water return till it stops.

Here is links as you said and pictured

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/refugium.htm

Here is video I saw to make one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNe_OYgoL8&feature=related

Last edited:
I would do the refugium first, skimmer second. You could have deeper water in the refugium, 10-11" or so, 7" in the skimmer section, and whatever you like in the pump section. I have two refugiums on my tank. One gets the water directly form the tank, the other from the skimmer section of my sump. The refugium that gets the dirty water is much more lush.

Best design would be to put a T on the water from the tank, build a refugium in a section on the left, a skimmer section on the right, and the return in the middle. Control the flow to the refugium with a ball or gate valve.

Make the reugium 18x15, the skimmer 12x15, and the pump 6x15, or something similar

Ok thank you but is it wise to make the return section quite big so I'm not topping up all the time

1st - Refuge 12-14"
2nd - Return 12"
3rd - Skimmer - 10-12"
Use a split drain with 1-2 ball valves to adjust refuge

That's how mine is set up (just 12" longer) & I'm very happy with it. It's good to give yourself some room in the skimmer area for future upgrades / maintenance.

I would make the fuge slightly bigger than the return section. Your right, you dont want to be topping off more than you need. If you have 30" to spare I would do 16" fuge and 14" return. I would also recommemd an ATO if you have the room for it.

Also make sure you have enough room for your skimmer. Make sure you are accounting for the pump and your line in from your display. If you have filter socks make sure you account for room to maintain them. If you make it hard to access you will be less likely to maintain them.

ATO = Auto Top Off. They don't have to be expensive systems. You should top off everyday to keep the specific gravity steady

Kent Marine makes a doser for 20 bucks or so holds a couple gallons, I topped off with that for years before I automated. Like I said, doesn't have to be elaborate

I have decided on first section skimmer & 3rd section return what would be best in the middle for best filtration I will be starting with fowlr then slowly adding corals.
Is the middle best with deep sand or mirical mud with algie or just live rock.
Your advice needed please

sand or mud. i would go with sand, it's cheaper. one won't perform better than the other.

both my refugiums have 5" sand, with some rubble scattered across it. The rubble really helps by giving pods a place to live. i cycle pieces of rubble through the DT so that it always has pods.

i also have several species of algaes growing - 2 species chaeto, 3 species ogo, ulva, halmida, couple others. its a real circus in there. doing just chaeto is fine, try getting it from two different sources to get more diversity in the pods

Back