Sump help

Vincero

Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice about two things:

- optimising my sump design
- ensuring that the volume is correct to account for power outage

I'm currently putting together a build in Sketchup, which I'm very inexperienced at using. The display tank is 610mm (wide) x 460mm (deep) x 480mm (high) . (I chose these dimensions because the whole set up is designed around a hybrid light fixture I want to use and I'm striving for a really clean look).

This is a pretty small aquarium, but I'd still like to fit everything in the stand. So, my stand has a small 'dry side' on the left and a sump that is 420mm (wide) x 340mm (deep) x 270mm (high).

So my display tank volume is approximately 130 litres
My sump is just under 40 litres and the only way I can make it hold more water is to add height, based on my current stand design.

Here's how I envision the whole thing looking: https://imgur.com/a/gCbr7nU

And here's a rough sketch of the sump: https://imgur.com/a/hvAhgli which uses an external pump (back left chamber).

I think I know how to calculate how much water will drain from the DT in the event of a power outage, but I don't understand how to calculate how much water will be in my sump when it's operating normally because all of the chambers will have water at a different height, presumably.

Any help/feedback is much appreciated!

Last edited:
AS far as event in power outage any pumps that in your DT will drain to your sump unless You drill a small hole in the inlet to break the siphon. However, that you don't have to do per say just give it enough drainage fill it slowly. Once you get it where you want it you should get floats(optical sensors 3 of them 5 best). One for High Sump; Two for Low Sump; 3 for Low Return; 4 Low Ato; 5 High Overflow basically this goes in back of tank to make sure this don't overflow (Clogged drain prevention)

This make sense?

I am all about safety.. lol. I even have water leak sensors 4 of them as well. can never be too safe. It's worth investing because a water leak can be disaster big time.. it happened to me before I did all this to my tank. I have 5 Optical sensors and 4 water leak sensors. Floats can be added to but opticals are better

Cheers for that advice. I still think it's a good idea to get the sump to a volume where it can catch excess water though, just for an extra failsafe. My maths is just too poor to work it out. Does the sump/overall design look workable to you?

You posted duplicate images.. The sump one isn't showing..

Whooops. You're right. Here it is:

https://imgur.com/a/hvAhgli

Drain input back right --> mechanical filtration section --> refugium at front --> skimmer --> small return section with bubble trap

Still have to work out the optimal height for the baffles. My understanding is that the skimmer chamber wall should be as high as its intended operating height. I've planned for the Curve 5, so that baffle is currently 8" (20cm) high.

Thanks

Just thinking that the Curve 5 is probably overkill for a tank this small, even if it's heavily stocked. Maybe the Coral Box DC300 would be a better choice, with a footprint of 15cm x 15cm. That would allow me to gain some additional space in the sump by tweaking chamber sizes.

But anyway, at this stage, my main concern is if sump is a viable design and whether or not it will catch water from the DT

Vincero, Most sumps operate @ about 1/2 full.
Skimmers can be put on a stand if the water depth is more than stated so no worries with that. You don't say why so many chambers but as far as a refugium goes, anything in there is too small to work well. usually water flows end to end.
Don't skimp on the return chamber. That's where the water will fluctuate 1st.
You can always fill the sump with a bucket measured to 4-5 gallons to check gallons.

Thanks for that. Do my return chamber should still be larger even if the pump is plumbed in externally?

As for the 'refugium' -- I'm not 100 percent sold on it either. Would some kind of reactor or scrubber be a better use of that space?

Not necessarily larger but that's where water level will lower with evaporation & could affect the pump if it gets too low. Without dimensions it's hard to make a judgement.
If an algae scrubber is on your list I would say yes.

I think your sump design is decent but needs a bit of adjustment as far as baffle height goes....The second to last baffle in your design will set the water height.. It will be as high as that baffle all the way to the first baffle..

Typically people only section their sump from left to right.. My sump is similar to yours in that its split in half so water flows in the back right to left then left to right in the front.. Its a good way to split it up when you want multiple chambers like that.

I think your sump design is decent but needs a bit of adjustment as far as baffle height goes....The second to last baffle in your design will set the water height.. It will be as high as that baffle all the way to the first baffle..

Typically people only section their sump from left to right.. My sump is similar to yours in that its split in half so water flows in the back right to left then left to right in the front.. Its a good way to split it up when you want multiple chambers like that.

Thanks for your input. It just seems to make sense based on the cabinet design and where the drains fall. How high would you suggest making the 'second to last baffle' in the return section?

I think the skimmer wants to be in 8-9inches of water.

Back