Sump help

Joypaws83

Hey guys! I need some help here. I was in the hobby back in the early 2000s but never dealt with a sump. I have a 40 gallon tank, bought a reef sump 75 and a KI protein skimmer 50. I need assistance setting it up. I have no pre drilled holes in my 40 gal tank for pipes either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
You can either drill the tank for a through the glass overflow or use an hang on overflow. If. Hang on, I would recommend Lifereef.

IMO, that’s the place to start. Once you decide on the overflow, we can piece together the rest😉

Another question…I was told I needed a pump. Is this necessary and where does this go in the sump? Sorry for my ignorance, the last time I did this I didn’t have any of this and it functioned just fine lol

Another question…I was told I needed a pump. Is this necessary and where does this go in the sump? Sorry for my ignorance, the last time I did this I didn’t have any of this and it functioned just fine lol
Yes, your overflow will deliver water from the tank to the sump. So, you will need a pump to return water to the tank. Looking at your pictures above, the pump will go in the right side chamber of the sump. Depending on the overflow you decide on, you’re going to want a submersible return pump rated for 300-600 gallons per hour.

So, again, let’s figure out the overflow first😉

And don’t apologize for asking questions. That’s what we’re here for. No matter how many years you’re in this hobby, you’re always learning. I’ve been in the hobby since 1986 and learn something new everyday.

And don’t apologize for asking questions. That’s what we’re here for. No matter how many years you’re in this hobby, you’re always learning. I’ve been in the hobby since 1986 and learn something new everyday.
Thanks for your help! I’ll get the overflow 😄

I’m not really familiar with them, so I’ll go with your suggestion and get that one 😁
Now, we’ll need to decide on a pump. I’m a little old school and still use a rio pump for my 40 gallon. I couldn’t find the Rio I have for sale, but the pump in the link below would be a good old school one.

I know that DC controllable pumps are the rage lately. But, honestly, I don’t know much about them. I’ll let someone who knows more chime in.

Now, we’ll need to decide on a pump. I’m a little old school and still use a rio pump for my 40 gallon. I couldn’t find the Rio I have for sale, but the pump in the link below would be a good old school one.

I know that DC controllable pumps are the rage lately. But, honestly, I don’t know much about them. I’ll let someone who knows more chime in.
I actually bought one yesterday when I bought the sump and skimmer

Attachments

• B921BED1-3A33-4736-8C40-74ED2985A296.jpeg
    B921BED1-3A33-4736-8C40-74ED2985A296.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
I actually bought one yesterday when I bought the sump and skimmer
Ah, good deal, Sicce is a good brand. Now, you’ll need tubing or PVC to go from the pump and back to the tank. And something like this to hang on the tank.

Personally, I just fashion a return get out of PVC.

Ah, good deal, Sicce is a good brand. Now, you’ll need tubing or PVC to go from the pump and back to the tank. And something like this to hang on the tank.

Personally, I just fashion a return get out of PVC.
I was thinking PVC as well, again just not sure what goes where but it maybe it’ll make more sense once I have all the parts 😅

I was thinking PVC as well, again just not sure what goes where but it maybe it’ll make more sense once I have all the parts 😅
Happy to walk you through it once you get the overflow. For pump back to tank, I use black vinyl tubing. No reason you can’t use PVC, the tubing is just personal preference.

Once my lights come on, I’ll post some pics of my sump, pump and return setup. Mine will be a bit different as I drilled the tank for an internal overflow. But, the pics should still give you an idea how to set it up😉

Back