Sun coral question

my sun coral made baby sun corals all over the tank within a few weeks. but id imagine you can just break the rock up that they are on...

I know they will spawn but have never heard of anyone actually fragging it.
Has anyone heard of a sun coral fragging????

yes it can and its very easy but the cuttings must be directly feed every 2nd day if you expect any new growth.

regards
Ben

I have fragged sun corals before - theres some pages back in the coral prop forum about it, but basically, I took a dremel-knock-off and zipped through the areas I wanted a frag and then stuck a flat-head screw driver in, twisted, and viola, a frag of sun corals.

Re: Sun coral question

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7529246#post7529246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sufunk
Can a sun coral be fragged?
Has anyone done it or know someone who has?
Sun corals are fairly easy to frag.You do have to excersise caution of course so you don't crush any polops.

The lfs I work at I have fragged there. I would say about 2 I think?

Anyways, no I don't have pics. I ususally don't have a camera on me 24/7.

You will need a form of cutting tool. A flat scraper and the serrated blade worked well. Now this may not be the absolute best method but I read a myriad of different ways and chose this. I used a bucket to dip into tank to get water. Then I put the sunpolyp rock into the bucket and removed it with enough water to cover.Obviously you have to be very careful so you don't damage the coral. I suggest wearing gloves.Take your tool and cut or chip away the rock under the polyp. Do not try shaving the polyp off or it wont work.Then glue your frag to a rock or get some type of support to have your rock on.

When did you frag those? Sounds like a cool lfs to be fragging their own corals. What is the name, phone number and the managers name? I'd like to call and ask him about the survival rates of the sun frags and others you guys do there and some other fragging questions. I'm in Florida also and go to Orlando pretty often.

Its called Reefs And Rainforests. Our manager is actually in Costa Rica in a fishing tournament. I am not sure when he really comes back. Actually, there is no manager, we all manage the store, all 5 of us. He is just the owner.

Sufunk, no need to worry about the survival rates if you know how to do it right. As far as I am concerned, you seem skeptic of me.

No need to worry? Why is the survival rate 100%? we arent talking about practically worthless shrooms or xenia, this is a fairly expensive LPS. Only logical someone would want to know that kind of info before trying something like this, especially with a supposed delicate coral.
Wasn't skeptical but i guess i can make a phone call and find out pretty easily before i go to Orlando on the 23rd.

Oh, sweet, I am working that day. Here, you want to directions?

Its kind of hard to find.

The survival rate is not 100%. You just have to be very careful when you fragg. I know these aren't worthless, thats why its good to frag them. :D.

Back