Super Reef Octopus LX2000S or XP1000S? (HOB)

richfavinger

Premium Member
Any one have thoughts on the:
Super Reef Octopus XP1000S HOB CONE Skimmer
Super Reef Octopus LX2000S HOB (Box) Skimmer

I had ordered the XP1000S HOB Cone in BLACK how ever I was just informed it was backordered till January... Could have sold me RED but um, no!

So, for the moment I canceled the skimmer. This gives me time to ponder. Is the SRO XP1000S CONE a good choice? Given the cone design, I was thinking yes... But I have not found much on this Cone HOB skimmer.

Would the SRO LX2000S Box skimmer been a better choice any way? Not that skimmer ratings mean much. But the Cone was rated for 110g, and the Box was rated for 150g.

As I ponder my next move. What are your thoughts? :reading:

There was a thread awhile back on the LX 2000 if you can find it. I have a older 800s and am still happy with. Either one would probably be a great skimmer.

I would like to know as well as I was thinking about getting the cone myself.
The things I wondered about is it looks like it would stick out the top pretty high. I have room but might be kinda unsightly.
What I really wondered is how much noise it makes?
I have the Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 1000INT In-Sump Protein Skimmer and that bubble blaster makes noise even in a sump. The pump is silent but the bubbles flowing make a rumbling noise.
I want a nice h.o.b skimmer for a 75 and the cone is the only one I saw like it for a h.o.b.

kass

I have the sro lx1000 on my 75g and it's quiet. It's still breaking in so can't report on how efficient it is. I heard the lx2000's design is a problem because the pump's on the outside so 1) it's louder and 2) the pump won't last as long because it isn't cooled by water. If you get one of the sro skimmers make sure you give it a dilute vinegar bath before use. Mine is taking forever to break in because I didn't do this and it had a TON of oil/crap in it from manufacturing.

I'm wondering about the xp1000s cone h.o.b. for my 75g I wanted this one because it's a cone and has the bubble blaster pump.
I did also wonder how long the pump would last because it is on the outside to.

I did'nt do a vinegar bath either on my int1000 (which is on my 150g) and its been over 4 weeks now and I still cant get it dialed in right. I either get totally wet skimate or none at all. 1 day I have no skimate and the next a gallon of mostly water.
I had an E.T.S.S. sump buddy on that tank before that and it was alot easier to dial in and not as touchy as the octo. So far the sump buddy also had darker skimate.
I'm not knocking the Octopus it's a good skimmer but had I known I wouldnt have replaced my sump buddy.

kass

Back