Super Reef Space Saver Octopus 3000SSS

chjay00

Hello there,

I am looking for some more infomation on the Super Reef Space Saver Octopus 3000SSS Internal Protein Skimmer.

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=CV-SRO-3000SSS&Category_Code=oct-sr

What size tank is this skimmer rate for?
What is the wattage use on the pump?
What is the water level I must maintain in the sump?

I'm planning to upgrade my skimmer for my 180g FOWLR with a 40g sump. I welcome any other suggestion. My sump space is 15" X 15". My max height is 25". I am looking for a skimmer that is energy efficient and not as loud as my current skimmer.

Thank you,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I would recommend the skimmer up to 200g total water volume. Of course stocking levels can play a lot into the size a skimmer can be rated for.

For sump depth I would recommend anywhere from 6" - 8". I am getting some feedback from customer's saying that 8" is a little deep though, and they're experiencing some overflowing issues.

The pump is rated at 40w, which is one of the more energy efficient pumps being used on skimmers these days.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy,

Thank you for your prompt response.
This skimmer will not work out then. The water level in my sump is constantly at 9-10.5" .
If i lift the skimmer 3" I will not have enough clearence....

How are the RE Vertex Alpha cone 200?

Jason

I went ahead and purchased the RE Vertex Cone 200 from you guys. In the thread, it looks like you have great customer support for this product.

Thank you,
Jason

You may need to raise the 200 up as well. Mine overflows at 9 inches. I have to run it at 8.5 to 8.75 inches of water.

Thanks for letting me know. My problem is that my sump is baffle, so my water level stays at 10". The vertex 200 is 1" shorter than the Super Reef Octopus 3000s. So, I have 2 inches to work with as long as the minimum is 8".

jason

The minimum is 8", so you should be just fine. Let us know if you have any questions on it at all and we'd be more than happy to help out.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi,

Our site listing 12.5" x 11" is accurate. I have one sitting here in front of me that I just confirmed measurements on.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I have a 300 gallon FOWLR, planning 15 fishes of about 3-6" feeding is once a day. would the 3000SSS work?

Hi Jason,

I would recommend the skimmer up to 200g total water volume. Of course stocking levels can play a lot into the size a skimmer can be rated for.

For sump depth I would recommend anywhere from 6" - 8". I am getting some feedback from customer's saying that 8" is a little deep though, and they're experiencing some overflowing issues.

The pump is rated at 40w, which is one of the more energy efficient pumps being used on skimmers these days.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jeremy

The 3000 could be a little "iffy" on that size tank. I would say that if you're keeping up with at least bi-weekly water changes, and keeping the skimmer clean it would probably be just fine.

For comparison sake, I help some friend's take care of a 330g FOWLR, with an old EuroReef CS8-2 (RS180), or somewhat similar to the SRO 3000 (SRO has a much better pump), and the skimmer keeps up with the tank just fine. It gets very heavy feedings as well. However, in addition to the skimmer we are also changing 30g of water on a weekly basis, and it's to the point now where the skimmer's performance is getting somewhat inconsistent, just due to the amount of water we are changing. A smaller skimmer might work more consistent just because the amount of dissolved organics has been reduced so much.

My point here? Never under estimate what consistent water changes can do for you system in aid of nutrient removal, and other factors. In most cases, there is no need to go with that huge 12" body skimmer if you're doing basic maintenance = water changes.

desperate for help

desperate for help

how many litres is 200 us gallons in uk litres?

and if my water level is 15 inches and the cabinet space is 25 inches will the reef octopus 3000 fit because of the water level it works at and the clearance.

and will it fit in a diameter of 13 lenght x 8 inches width??

Diameter is the circumfrance of the skimmer neck, the foot print is listed on there site seperately.

I dont believe that the sro3000 would work with 25inches of height and your water level, SRO work well in 6" of water height

i now have volume of my system thanks to somebody. it is 300 litres. i have been reccomended to get a bubble magnus nac 6 or a tunze 9006. which is better.
iv also been told buble magnuses are better skimmers than reef octopus. as i wanted a reef octopus. if i was to get reef octopus what size would i need? 1000?

Back