Super strong Cyano

REEFRHEAD

OK so I have a cyano problem in my 220 reef. i have tried to kill it once before with red slime algae remover. it worked once before but now the infestation that i have will live through the whole dose of the remover so i tried a double dose meaning i dosed the tank again 48 hours later. now the cyano did loose a lil color and sparted pealing off the rock a lil so im going to try to vaccuum it out. but either way i used two whole boxes of the remover and it wont kill it like it used to. now ive never tried the chemiclean version of the remover and i figure since its a different company and product maybe it will work better, but ive read posts with it causing problems in multiple peoples tanks with their corals and thats the last thing i want to do. so what do you all think i should do? try the chemiclean? and only give me advise if you have yourself used the products im talking about thankx in advance ;)

I've used chemiclean with no problems,it works just like it says.One thing You can try is turn the lights off for two days while doseing for the cyano.It won't hurt the corals to be out of light for that period,but it does a number on the cyano.;)

I wouldn't dose anything whilst the lights are off. When the cyano dies, your skimmer will pull more gunk out of the water, and also make sure you prepare enough water to do a big water change, say 50 gallons in your case. This may seem extreme, but if you want to beat it....

Also the theory is generally for 3 days, even with SPS it can be done. Those who have lost SPS through this process had problems with the frag or colony IMO. I have SPS and lost a frag to my urchin, but none died. It will leave your tank with a very clean look to ;)

I current have the same problem and was about to try Chemi-Clean. Should I try turning off the lights for three days without using Chemi-Clean or use Chemi-Clean and turn the lights off for the three days. I currently have all SPS Corals and Clams in my 125 gal.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12216351#post12216351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chris wright
I wouldn't dose anything whilst the lights are off. When the cyano dies, your skimmer will pull more gunk out of the water, and also make sure you prepare enough water to do a big water change, say 50 gallons in your case. This may seem extreme, but if you want to beat it....

Also the theory is generally for 3 days, even with SPS it can be done. Those who have lost SPS through this process had problems with the frag or colony IMO. I have SPS and lost a frag to my urchin, but none died. It will leave your tank with a very clean look to ;)

I'd hold off on the Chemi-clean for now, and try the lights out first. I prefer to do things without chemicals, and would only use them as a last resort. If when you turn the lights on and have done your water change your not happy, then I would try the Chemi-clean, but I'm sure you'll be surprised at the results. You may have a few small patches around, but they eventually die off, and it's great to freshen up the look of the tank.

What I do when in the blackout phase, because I have a couple of fish, I turn the lights on to feed the fish at their normal feeding time to just check on everything. I've only lost a small frag when it got broken by my urchin, so I'm not worried about the lights out, and I'd imagine it would be the same for your clams.

Just think of it as a very few cloudy days over the reef, as it happens in nature, with big storms too. Healthy corals will take this procedure well, and it's my belief that if something is lost, there is an underlying reason for it. It's not sunny on the reef everyday, and IMO it gives the corals a litte R&R from the bright lights everyday.

HTH and good luck with it :)

Back