Superskimmer 65

I have one of these skimmers and I use it as a hang-on-back. It pulls a moderate amount of skimmate every week. It is touchy to get it adjusted and touchy to get it re-adjusted if you do anything in the tank, such as blowing off the rocks. Some people have had difficulty with it creating a lot of micro bubbles in the tank, though I have not had this problem other than when it is re-adjusting after something like blowing off the rocks during a major tank cleaning. I think it is a case of getting what you pay for and this is a low-end skimmer. That said, I think it is doing a pretty fair job of skimming. Have you looked at the AquaC Remora hang-on? There have been some good comments on here about it but I have no experience with it.

It is a piece of crap. You will be sorry you purchased this equipment. Skimmers are truly one of the few pieces of equipment in this hobby where you do get what you pay for. People are always posting problems with the Coralife skimmers, from too many bubbles to not working well, etc. I had the SS 125 and it did nothing but cause me problems, from flooding to not working when the water dropped to microbubbles.

This would be a MUCH better choice:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=ACRDM

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12888336#post12888336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
It is a piece of crap. You will be sorry you purchased this equipment. Skimmers are truly one of the few pieces of equipment in this hobby where you do get what you pay for. People are always posting problems with the Coralife skimmers, from too many bubbles to not working well, etc. I had the SS 125 and it did nothing but cause me problems, from flooding to not working when the water dropped to microbubbles.

This would be a MUCH better choice:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=ACRDM

I have a super skimmer 220 (in sump) and I agree, you should look into the remora for a hang-on.

thank for the opinions...the reason i was considering is that i found a local deal for one at $30, but i guess its not really a deal after all.

I dunno--If money is tight, spending $30 on this skimmer might not be a bad deal as long as you are buying a working unit. As posted above, mine needs a little tinkering but does skim. I think you'd get your money's worth. On the other hand, if you have the money, there are better units out there.

I agree. for $30 it's worth a try. Just know that you are getting a $30 skimmer and that you will eventually want better. If money is tight, this is a good deal.

haha i guess im going to try it since everyone seems so back and forth on if its a good deal or not.

Follow the instructions and don't get frustrated if you have to start with it really dialed down. There is a break-in period of several days. I find that if I give mine a thorough cleaning, I have to go through this again.

I am getting it used with a fishing line mod the guy im getting it from says its good for what im paying...so hopefully it will be better than nothing. Im hoping it wont add to much heat either.

I have one and it pulls a cup full of dark skimate every week with little to no adjustments. I guess I could have spent $300 and got a cup full of the same crap every week and enjoyed the feeling of owning a "real" skimmer.

Well i bought it! It is kinda noisy but only from the air tube...so i think i might be able to eventually fix that. I am keeping it tuned down to avoid a possible flood the first night but will keep everyone updated on how it turns out. It has pulled some light colored skimate already!

I am kinda worried that since it is in its own section in the back it wont make contact with enough water to make a difference though...i have it pumping water back into the same area that it is skimming to avoid microbubbles going back into the main tank. I set up a small pump to move water from the return chamber back into the skimming chamber, do you peeps think that will be enough?

Just an update on the skimmer...its awesome and was worth $30 for sure. Its pulling dark skimmate out all day long.

Back