Sure its been covered, but need info on Colonial hydroids...

Xirxes23

I have about 6-8 small colonies of hydroids on some LR, and inside the bulk of the live rock the surface seems to be COVERED with a very very light coating of them (smaller than the other colonies).

Anyways, will they die off after the Tank further establishes? I have had it up for about 2 months now. Otherwise, let me know any effective organisms/control methods thanks.

I had a couple small colonies in my tank. I couldn't find anything to get rid of them. I searched all through RC and WWM, but couldn't find any solutions.

Eventually I decided to sacrafice the two pieces of rock to prevent them from spreading.

They will not die off. Not all hydroids are bad. I have the brown types and they do not harm anything. Most have problems with the yellow and green ones.

Re: Sure its been covered, but need info on Colonial hydroids...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7551360#post7551360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Xirxes23
I have about 6-8 small colonies of hydroids on some LR, and inside the bulk of the live rock the surface seems to be COVERED with a very very light coating of them (smaller than the other colonies).

Anyways, will they die off after the Tank further establishes? I have had it up for about 2 months now. Otherwise, let me know any effective organisms/control methods thanks.

They will not go away on their own. I've had them for several years and have tried every trick in the book. Do not attempt removal of any of them inside your tank. You must remove the rock or you will only make the situation worse.

IME, here the most effective ways to control them:

1) Remove the rock and soak (not dip) in freshwater. You will lose all life on the rock. I let them sit until they don't smell rotten anymore.

2) Remove the rock and rub the area down with a Kalk paste. Trying to apply kalk to these things in the tank is a joke.

3) Chisel the infected area off the rock. Their "root" structure (for lack of a scientific term) penetrates into the live rock fairly deep.

4) Since they are light dependant, they will only grow on the side of the rocks that are facing the light. If a rock is infested, I will turn the infested side down into the sand. Repeat as necessary.

I use all the above methods to CONTROL them. I have found it impossible to exterminate them. I am hoping to exhaust their will to live. They make my tank maintanance a living hell.

Good luck!

well i have 115 lbs of live rock, in a big pile of sorts, and MOST of the bottom inside layer is covered with small amounts of these, looks like a fuzz they are so small. Removal is not an option...

Screwed? Maybe coraline algae will slow them, other than that, not much i can do. Thanks for info. I will post some pics if i can get some good ones.

It sounds as if they have already taken over your tank. However, I would HIGHLY recommend that you deal with the situation now rather than later.

Once they take hold of your tank, nothing short of a complete tear down will rid the problem. They will spread not only on your live rock, but your sand bed, corals, tank walls, pumps, snail shells - basically anything they can attach themselves to. They are the spawn of satan.

I wish I knew now what I didn't know then. These things will destroy your tank if left untreated.

Dude sorry to say ...your screwed... They grow over coraline as well.

My Deltec AP600 has made a big impact on their spread on my 58gallons. So good Filtration might be the key.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7553312#post7553312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc_909
Does anything eat them?

Wrasse, crab, etc...

Nothing that's accessible to the average hobbyist.

I had a problem with ****in hydroids as well!! Nothing eats them! But they kil coral and they **** up snails as well. At least nothing that is reef safe will eradicate them. Flame angels pick at them... But never ever killing them all... The best way is to remove your corals or cut them from the rocks and boil the rocks in tap water for 1/2 hour, rinse under the tap and scrubbed with a brush...then returned them to the tank. No more hydroids!!never do all of your rocks in one day... It has to be done a few rocks at a time over time but it works.

I had a problem with ****in hydroids as well!! Nothing eats them! But they kil coral and they **** up snails as well. At least nothing that is reef safe will eradicate them. Flame angels pick at them... But never ever killing them all... The best way is to remove your corals or cut them from the rocks and boil the rocks in tap water for 1/2 hour, rinse under the tap and scrubbed with a brush...then returned them to the tank. No more hydroids!!never do all of your rocks in one day... It has to be done a few rocks at a time over time but it works.

Note: Do NOT boil the rock if there are any Zoas/Palys on them. (Or if you think there might be, or think there ever might have been...) You don't want to be vaporizing Palytoxin...

Back