Surface skimming help...

Pez68

So, right now I have a 29G with no sump or overflow. What's the best way to skim the surface? I've got a bit of film building up on the surface, even with good agitation from the powerhead. Suggestions?

I use a cup and place it in the tank angled so only the surface of the water fills the cup. Its kind of hard to describe...

I've seen too many folks claiming that the nano skimmer doesn't do much of anything to surface film to spend $120 on it.

Skimmers will do nothing for surface skimming FYI, skimmers take out the dissolved waste in the water with micro bubbles, not by surface skimming

That's what I figured. I adjusted my powerhead so it is hitting the surface a lot more. Really, most of the surface film right now is from these damn snails spawning all over the tank. Had none until they started that!

I haven't done this, but I have heard of people building a small overflow box for the hob skimmer intake. Might search online a little it. Otherwise the skimmer will never pull all the protein from the surface. I had the same issue even with my reef octopus bh1000 hob skimmer. Part of the reason why I am upgrading to a drilled tank with overflow.

Back