Surge suppressor on Apex?????

rezaktp

Like to get soem feedback on this. Should the Apex / aquarium electronics in general be on a surge supressor?

Well, for me the question is "is your investment worth protecting?" I think yes. I have one of my EB8s on a UPS with battery backup, and another on the UPS surge only. I use that to detect and adjust for power failures.

I am protecting all my gear from surges and can run selected items for some period during power outages. Since you can get a UPS for under a $100, and one blown MP10 can go up to triple that, and the APEX up to 5 times that, I think it is good insurance.

However, your mileage may vary.

1000va. Rated for 9 minutes at 250W. (claims to run a single DVR or VCR for up to 3 hours) When my power fails, I immediately shutdown everything but the Airport Express (30W) and a single MP10 (which gets shifted to slow mode @ <10W). At 5 minutes after power fail, given time for the APEX to email/text me, I shutdown the Airport Express. My assumption is that I should be able to go 60-120 minutes with a single slow speed pump, if not more. This is more than enough time for me to get home from the office, and roll the generator out of the garage, if it looks to be a protracted outage.

I just looked up the average DVR consumption from this document (http://mysite.verizon.net/~fiosdvr/prem_review_01.pdf p.33) and it seems to be ~30W. Given this, and Tripplite's claims of running a DVR for 3 hours, I am prone to believe that the UPS will last all of 3 hours and then some with my reduced load of <10W. I don't want to run it out to the limit unless I have to, but it is good to know that window is wider than I thought initially.

Why not a Whole House Surge Suppressor / Surge Protector? I mean for everything you own prolly the best bang for your buck instead of a bunch of smaller ones for tv/radio/fish equipment ect.

No questions asked, it should be on a surge protector...
I know, i have an apex (it is fantastic) on a 125 gallon, and we had a bad thunderstorm, the power went on and off a bunch of times, and a few computers were destroyed at the school. Our apex got corrupted, and got so messed up I still don't really know what happened.
Called Neptune Systems, and they told me to use a surge protector to prevent future problems.

It is definately on a surge protector now, $100 of fish lost was more than enough of a reason to put it on a surge protector.

Hope the helps.

Why not a Whole House Surge Suppressor / Surge Protector? I mean for everything you own prolly the best bang for your buck instead of a bunch of smaller ones for tv/radio/fish equipment ect.

Great idea. I am building a new home soon, that will have a whole house suppressor, as well as a built-in natural gas generator. No more little surge suppressors, no more little UPS'es. No more days without power or hot water, or TV.

I am installing a new panel/w/surge, and having it in zoned for my generator. A flip of a switch i can zone off power and see how much juice is being used in each zone. I'll have 6 zones in all.

Back