Sustrate in Chaeto section of sump

jcmjoe

Just curious if you guys have any substrate in the chaeto section of your sumps or just have it bare bottom?

Thanks!

I like your quote Taby15! I am thinking of putting some seachem matrix in the section with it but wasnt sure if it would become a detritus trap?

You run that risk but it depends. I haven't encountered a build up yet. The filter socks catch the majority of it.

My fuge is not just a section of my sump anymore, it's an entire 30 gallon tank. It does not have any cheato in it either as all my cheato melted away. My guess is that it could not compete with the feather caulerpa also growing in the fuge. Anyway my fuge has a lot of substrate, about 6" of sand and garden dirt, ( more sand than dirt).

I bet that is beautiful Vlangel, I had a 30 gallon fuge setup with a DSB and mangroves in my previous tank and it kept my tank levels perfect. Thanks for the reply's guys!

I think most folks run them bare bottom, especially if they're trying to tumble the chaeto, but you absolutely could. If you're trying to provide habitat for pods then a coarse substrate would be helpful. Up to you!

Back